Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Board games  (Read 21394 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 02:58:32 pm »

i just fixed the syntax, i didn't make any changes to the content
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 03:44:49 pm »

Scrabble Slam is pretty fun to play with just two people.  The games are really short though, but fun.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Board games
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 04:12:52 pm »

i just fixed the syntax, i didn't make any changes to the content

Okeydoke, I'm going to assume the duplicated part in the middle was a transferring issue.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Board games
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 04:17:29 pm »

I really like Scrabble. I have fond memories of playing that with my grandmother - they're some of the only memories I have of her (she lived far away). Our family has always played a lot of Scrabble. Unfortunately, some of the people I like to play games with are pretty vigorously anti-Scrabble.

I just read up a bit on Scrabble Slam and that does sound interesting.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 11:58:37 pm »

I play scrabble (aka Words With Friends) via iPhone with a great number of people. Look me up by my predictable username (the one I used to use here) if you have the ability and inclination. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Board games
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 03:08:53 am »

Lotta people here at work do that. Is there like a delay between moves - is that how that works? And is that how Carcassonne works on the iPhone? Or do you have to basically plan to spend an hour on your phone at a sitting?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 03:18:46 am »

You play a move, then you go do something else. It's a little disjointed. But when you and a pal are on at the same time, you can go back and forth, boom boom boom, which is nice.

Words with Friends uses a weird dictionary, though, and I think my brother-in-law cheats. (There are tons of cheat websites out there, mainly anagram machines.) So you have to sort of trust your opponent not to be a dick about stuff.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Board games
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 03:22:23 am »

Yeah, I went back and forth about mentioning the cheat programs. That just seems lame to me, and most of the people around here use them, so for all intents and purposes (intensive purposes, Miles?) it's one dictionary playing another.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 07:16:03 am »

Whoops, didn't realize I'd messed up my post.  Sorry, I fixed it.  Medici is not a board game with zombies in it.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Board games
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 04:06:09 am »

Hey, who plays chess?

I'm terrible and have only played it so far on my computer and phone, but I'm hooked. I've never really made an effort before. Any tips on guides or whatever on how to improve?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Board games
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 05:14:08 pm »

I was a pretty good chess player 'round about junior high. I was the #2 player at our school, behind this one Asian kid who beat me soundly every single time we played and laughed at me while doing so. Now, I seem to lack the patience. If you want to improve, I would say look at chess problems (it shows you a board and says "White to move and mate in three" or what have you). They used to run in newspapers everywhere; now I'm sure they're available online. It's all about seeing all the options and thinking ahead. You might study openings as well.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 05:27:47 pm »

alternatively, be a supercomputer
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Board games
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 05:41:10 pm »

When I was younger, everyone (doctors, teachers, parents, etc) told me I would be really good at Chess. I am so, so bad at Chess.

What is particularly astounding to me is that the doctor who diagnosed me with ADD said I would be great at chess. How does that compute?

I am in a major Board Game drought ever since my board game playing roommate moved out. Puerto Rico cries every night on the little shelf under my coffee table.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Board games
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 06:45:15 pm »

I have the same patience issue as The Mayor anymore

That's the strange thing. My patience level is as low as it has ever been, but lately I've been playing a lot of chess (and hold em). Thanks for the tips, I'll seek those out online.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 08:06:28 pm »

When I was younger, everyone (doctors, teachers, parents, etc) told me I would be really good at Chess. I am so, so bad at Chess.

What is particularly astounding to me is that the doctor who diagnosed me with ADD said I would be great at chess. How does that compute?

I am in a major Board Game drought ever since my board game playing roommate moved out. Puerto Rico cries every night on the little shelf under my coffee table.

I've never played Puerto Rico but the anniversary edition is calling out to me. Have you tried Meetup? There are several board game groups in my area that I found that way.  And have you played San Juan? It's a card-based version of Puerto Rico that's a bit faster to learn and play from what I understand.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up