Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Board games  (Read 21385 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2011, 08:37:58 pm »

My 9 y/o daughter is interested in Chess.  Its something I foster of course (although other homework has to be done first).  Other than knowing the basic order of play I have no chess knowledge, but we hack away at it together.  She still doesn't get knight moves, and I'm pretty sure this is mostly a ploy for monopolizing Daddy's attention from her younger brother and older cousin, but I like it anyway.  Makes our games move fast though, since we need to cram them in between dinner and bedtime (8:30 for her).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Board games
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 08:59:37 pm »

That's the strange thing. My patience level is as low as it has ever been, but lately I've been playing a lot of chess (and hold em).

Now oddly enough, though I haven't been playing much lately, I am very patient when it comes to poker. One thing I got really good at was hanging around when short-stacked, and making my way to the final table even if I started out poorly.

I need to play poker again, I miss that, but I was playing the Wednesday night game at a local bar at 10 PM. That meant if you made it to the final table you weren't out of there until 1 AM. And lately I just can't hack those kind of late nights.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Board games
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 09:25:28 pm »

I joined a board games Meetup group, but so far the meetings near me are on days I have work late at the store. I only started getting emails from them a few weeks ago, so it's bound to work out sooner or later.

The real "meetup" that needs to happen is with my young lady friends from this summer, who played that game with me every night for weeks. But they have all sorts of "homework" and stuff. Also, when all of your friends live in walking distance, it is hard to motivate yourself to drive across town to play board games with some 23 year old weirdo on a saturday night, instead of getting drunk/high and not having to worry about driving home.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 12:19:56 am »

I've never played Puerto Rico but the anniversary edition is calling out to me. Have you tried Meetup? There are several board game groups in my area that I found that way.  And have you played San Juan? It's a card-based version of Puerto Rico that's a bit faster to learn and play from what I understand.

San Juan is one of my favorite games ever of all time. Come visit, I will teach you to play.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 01:07:34 am »

Board games or bored games amirite?  Just kidding.  I love to play chess.  I'm no good at it, never read a book, but it's a fun game to play.  I should go do that.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 01:28:25 am »

She still doesn't get knight moves

My dad taught me knights move one up and two over or two up and one over and it always took me forever to figure out all the places a knight could move. Then I learned the simpler method of one up and one diagonal and the game started going so much faster.

Oh, and JL, I've played San Juan once, but I haven't played Puerto Rico yet
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Board games
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 01:43:26 am »

My 9 y/o daughter is interested in Chess.

My friend recently started to get more into chess. He has a lot more background than me and knows much more about strategy, but it had been a while. He was actually to a chess club and stuff. Anyway, a few months ago his status update was something about how he beat a child at chess and felt good about it. People were horrified. But hey, gotta start somewhere.

So a friend at work is up for some chess, so we're going to set up a small board in between cubicles and take turns between busy times. I just need to get good enough so I don't lose every time. At least get some stalemates, you know?

Now oddly enough, though I haven't been playing much lately, I am very patient when it comes to poker. One thing I got really good at was hanging around when short-stacked, and making my way to the final table even if I started out poorly.

I need to play poker again, I miss that, but I was playing the Wednesday night game at a local bar at 10 PM. That meant if you made it to the final table you weren't out of there until 1 AM. And lately I just can't hack those kind of late nights.

One of these days I'm going to enter a tournament in Wendover. It's a pretty short drive and they are usually relatively cheap. I've never played like for actual money. Just with buddies with like $25 buy-ins and online.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 03:06:29 am »

My dad taught me knights move one up and two over or two up and one over and it always took me forever to figure out all the places a knight could move. Then I learned the simpler method of one up and one diagonal and the game started going so much faster.


I used to think of it as the opposite corner of a 2x3 rectangle.

Not much of a chess player, though.  Anybody play bridge?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 03:13:59 am »

Oh, and JL, I've played San Juan once, but I haven't played Puerto Rico yet

In that case, come visit and I will totally school you.

Anybody ever play Space Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirls?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 03:17:18 am »

My current obsession that I'd been waiting for for over a year is Airlines Europe. It's like if Ticket to Ride had sex with Acquire. Hot freaky boardgame sex. Bow chicka wow wa
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Board games
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 06:00:00 am »

I am bringing my Mom's Mah Jongg set home this time. It's really beautiful - all ivory and bamboo and shit. I probably won't ever play it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Board games
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2011, 06:05:19 am »

you guys are dorks, the knights move like that one Tetris piece.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 12:41:49 pm »

you guys are dorks, the knights move like that one Tetris piece.

THIS
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Board games
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 12:43:10 pm »

Wow, seems like a lot of us are working on our knight moves. Strange how the knight moves.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 03:53:48 pm »

Wow, seems like a lot of us are working on our knight moves. Strange how the knight moves.

I thought of this previously but couldn't quite find the joke. Cans for making it work.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up