Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Board games  (Read 21480 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Board games
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2011, 12:36:58 am »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 03:02:49 pm »

The lady and I just got a copy of Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries. It's a 2-3 player version with a might tighter map and pretty different rules concerning the locos. I enjoyed it.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2012, 03:17:09 pm »

I've seen that, but never played it. My BFF has the German map, which adds a weird dynamic about passengers. It's fun, but I still prefer the standard edition.

I taught my mom to play. She liked it. Muahahahahaaa...
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2012, 03:42:35 pm »

Based on this one play I think I prefer TtR: Europe with 4-5 and TtR: Nordic with 2. The Alvin & Dexter expansion I just find stupid.

We've been playing a lot of Kingdom Builder lately. It has some neat randomization mechanics. There are 8 board segments and each game you randomly choose 4. Each segment has a different special power on it, too. Then there's a deck of 10 cards that explain how to score; each game 3 are chosen.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2012, 03:44:57 pm »

Speaking of randomization, have you ever played Small World?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2012, 04:07:33 pm »

Speaking of randomization, have you ever played Small World?

I have the base game, Ladies, and Be Not Afraid. I've played with Cursed but don't own it. I haven't tried Underworld yet at all.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Board games
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2012, 04:12:15 pm »

Any of you mugs play Cosmic Encounter? That's my favorite board game ever. I look forward to my kids being old enough to handle it one day.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 04:22:28 pm »

I looked that up on the The Geek and my first reaction is "oh god no, negotiation"
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 04:39:33 pm »

Oh man, see I would enjoy that game, but I also know it would bring out the absolute worst in me when it comes to my competitive tendencies.  I tend to avoid these games because they draw out the more unsavory parts of my character, I can get into a space where I am venomously fuck*ng someone over and taking things way too seriously.  Best to avoid, but looks like fun for those with better social tact than I.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2012, 07:38:56 pm »

What's that thing Wombat is always saying?

It's like you people are speaking in code.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2012, 07:53:25 pm »

Yes, we are actually talking about hot sex, but using words that common lay people do not understand.  Some of the words are actually encoded pictures.  Sucks to be you.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2012, 09:39:20 pm »

Oh yeah, we also got Poseidon's Kingdom. The bits are crazy awesome. Look at them. Look at them!
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2012, 11:40:21 pm »

What's that thing Wombat is always saying?

She says sometimes I don't know what the hell y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that. She is quoting me.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 12:54:58 am »

What Paul said!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Board games
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 03:00:18 am »

My BFF has the German map, which adds a weird dynamic about passengers.

Do I take the joke here? No, I'll leave it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up