Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Board games  (Read 21438 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 02:28:48 pm »

Do I take the joke here? No, I'll leave it.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Board games
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 04:49:15 pm »

This way I get the enjoyment of making the joke and also plausible deniability.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 04:53:36 pm »

That's way worse. You made *me* make the joke, mentally, so now I have to feel shitty about it and try not to say it next time we play.

Asshole. 

:-*
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Board games
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2012, 05:03:42 pm »

I'm not proud of myself.


Oh, who am I trying to kid?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 05:56:19 pm »

The other day I heard somebody say Stuttgart and thought they were talking about Thurn & Taxis. I'd completely forgotten the name had significance outside of that game.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Board games
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2012, 07:44:20 pm »

Oh man, see I would enjoy that game, but I also know it would bring out the absolute worst in me when it comes to my competitive tendencies.

It is possible to have multiple/mutual winners in CE. In fact, every so often you get a situation where the obvious path on your final turn is broker a deal so you and another party both win the game, to the annoyance of the other players.  Cort, negotiation, when it happens, is capped at I want to say three minutes.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2012, 08:03:48 pm »

That sounds a lot like Diplomacy.

Smells, check out Pandemic. It's a co-op game where you and 3 - 4 other players play against the board, essentially. It's very good for a group of competitive people because it forces you to work together and share resources, but if you do, you all win together.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Board games
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 09:23:35 pm »

Today in reference to a model UN competition she was on her way to, a lady made a joke about how she and her team think Hitler wasn't such a bad guy. Then there was a long, awkward pause and she walked away.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Board games
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 09:49:51 pm »

That sounds a lot like Diplomacy.

Diplomacy if it were played by frickin' SPACE ALIENS!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2012, 05:13:47 pm »

Model UN....Godwin'd
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2013, 11:06:57 pm »

Hey Cort!

I had a Game of Thrones LCG event at my store today and a bunch of Labyrinth regulars drove down for it. Corey, Ben, Steve, Erick...and one more guy whose name escapes me at the moment. They were super, super nice. Do you know any of that crowd?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2013, 11:21:38 pm »

Hey Cort!

I had a Game of Thrones LCG event at my store today and a bunch of Labyrinth regulars drove down for it. Corey, Ben, Steve, Erick...and one more guy whose name escapes me at the moment. They were super, super nice. Do you know any of that crowd?

I've never actually been to Labyrinth. One of my friends goes a lot and The Lady went there once to pick up christmas surprises. I don't actually go into DC all that often.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2013, 06:23:03 pm »

Wasn't sure where to put this. Tried it out a few times and it's pretty fun: http://mathwithbaddrawings.com/2013/06/16/ultimate-tic-tac-toe/
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2013, 06:31:40 pm »

Wow, this thread. Cort, I just picked up Tokaido. It is amazing. Really different from anything else I've played.

Also, have you played Terra Mystica yet? Good luck getting your hands on a copy. I freaking WORK at a game store and I can't get one for love or money.

Well, I could get one for money -- but it's going for over $130 on eBay due to the print shortage. Come on, Z-Man. Get it together.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2013, 08:23:01 pm »

Yeah I thought the free to play, fun to strategize, Ultimate tic-tac-toe was cool, too.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up