Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Board games  (Read 21474 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2013, 08:38:16 pm »

Sorry...I just despise tic-tac-toe so much. Even the complexier version looks...too much like being bored in church.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2013, 09:25:55 pm »

Wow, this thread. Cort, I just picked up Tokaido. It is amazing. Really different from anything else I've played.

I have no interest in games but I'm really interested in travelling through Japan. Maybe if it's different from all the other games in the world I would like it?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2013, 09:41:56 pm »

I have no interest in games but I'm really interested in travelling through Japan. Maybe if it's different from all the other games in the world I would like it?
But then you'd have to experience actual Go. In Wash Sq and Union Sq there are Go hustlers that pop up. They "teach" you how to play this extremely simple game and well you fill in the rest.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2013, 09:46:29 pm »

She'd prolly try go and hurry up and went.
HEY O
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Board games
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2013, 01:45:34 am »

It is not exactly a board game but I would love to play Cards Against Humanity with five or six of you rad people some day.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Board games
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2013, 03:24:47 am »

When I Went To Chicago that time I stayed with one of the creators of Cards Against Humanity. He lives with my old college friend.

I think my feelings are way too tender for that game.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2013, 05:13:49 am »

That is a great game. I know a few people who have it but I don't own a copy. No point -- all the people I'd want to play with own a set.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2013, 10:26:10 am »

When I Went To Chicago that time I stayed with one of the creators of Cards Against Humanity. He lives with my old college friend.

I think my feelings are way too tender for that game.
Did you ask for a ruler?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2013, 02:59:30 pm »

I have no interest in games but I'm really interested in travelling through Japan. Maybe if it's different from all the other games in the world I would like it?

It's pretty different...there's no die roll or other mechanic for determining how far you move on your turn. You just...look down the road and decide where you want your next stop to be.

It's satisfying to play even if you lose, because you can say, "well, he won the game, but I finished all three panoramas, and ate some sushi, so that's cool."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Board games
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2013, 06:13:08 pm »

You might wanna de-tenderize those game feelings, 'Nev.

Being on a first-name basis with one of the CaH guys could have you swimming in ladynerd tail in certain circles.

THE GAME IS THAT GOOD.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2013, 06:44:04 pm »

the wife's business partner has the original set, played through several times, and three expansion decks, which she hadn't even opened. until a couple weeks ago. we left the original set in its box and shuffled the expansions together, so like all the cards were new to us. good lord that game is ridiculous awful hilarious fun.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2013, 06:32:21 am »

i went from _______ to _______ all thanks to ________

A healthy sex life
Morbid obesity
Doritos
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Board games
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2013, 06:45:12 pm »

Quote from: Choop
i went from _______ to _______ all thanks to ________

A big black dick
A bigger blacker dick
Skeletor
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2013, 06:47:38 pm »

i went from _______ to _______ all thanks to ________

Libertarian anarchist
Normal human
Education
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Board games
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2013, 01:58:37 pm »

Somebody brought Tokaido to my party on Saturday but it didn't make it to the table. I taught Paris Connection and learned Clubs and Legendary.

I have Palaces of Carrara, Trains, and Village Inn all on preorder but I was pretty late to the Carrara party so who knows when I'll actually see that order get filled. Both Thought Hammer and Cool Stuff had stopped taking pre-orders when I placed mine at B&B. Though I at least get in before it was announced as a SdJ nominee. Also, fuck Fred games for letting Fun Again buy every single copy of Taluva so they can sell it at full MSRP.

Some blank CAH cards I like:
Morgran Freeman and James Earl Jones having a tickle-fight
Screech from Saved by the Bell
erotic dentistry
a 5-gallon bucket of puss
Jerry's new girlfriend is obsessed with ______. Kramer opens a felafel cart.
______ a day keeps _______ away.
____. It's what's for dinner.


The only card I've ever seen make people say "Whoa. Maybe take that out of the game." is "the Virginia Tech massacre."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:09:32 pm by CortJstr »
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up