Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Libya  (Read 6191 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Libya
« on: March 19, 2011, 05:44:01 pm »

Things sure are going well all the way around lately, aren't they?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Libya
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 05:50:46 pm »

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Libya
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:09:13 pm »

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Libya
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 04:02:37 am »

I remain convinced that this is still a horrible idea.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Libya
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 04:14:42 am »

I remain convinced that this is still a horrible idea.

I am with you, I think, on this.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Libya
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 04:35:15 am »

I am so ambivalent on the subject that I wrote a parody of "Lydia the Tattooed Lady" about Lybia.

This is what I do with my time now, apparently.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Libya
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 05:19:14 am »

I am so ambivalent on the subject that I wrote a parody of "Lydia the Tattooed Lady" about Lybia.

This is what I do with my time now, apparently.
Yeah bro, mass murders by a government on its own people are totally not worth paying attention to. I mean, everything worked out with Hitler, right? We should totally make jokes about the guy.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Libya
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 05:34:43 am »

The idea of getting Qaddafy outta there is fine. I am all for that idea.

But holy shit, there are all kinds of ways the fall-out could end up worse instead of better for Libyans and for us and for everybody.

Not to mention that for all our talk about America not being at war against Islam in general, man, it would sure like a move toward being at war with Islam in general.

Just because something awful is going on doesn't mean we can't feel oogy about the way that fixing it might end up making thing worse in the long run.

Just look at... everything in the world since World War One. Basically everything that has happened since the end of World War One. Look at... that stuff.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Libya
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 06:09:08 am »

You are ideologically schizophrenic.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Libya
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 08:31:16 am »

Aw, you two.  You haven't had sloppy make outs in such a long time.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Libya
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 01:28:31 pm »

I remain convinced that this is still a horrible idea.

This is definitely not encouraging.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Libya
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 02:16:54 pm »

Yeah bro, mass murders by a government on its own people are totally not worth paying attention to.

As a side note, I think maybe AC doesn't know the proper definition of the word ambivalent.  Ambivalent =/= disinterested, although that's a very common misinterpretation of the word.  Being ambivalent, in the proper definition of the word, is about being deeply conflicted about something, which is very, very different from thinking something is "not worth paying attention to."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Libya
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 02:55:17 pm »

Yes, I definitely meant ambivalent in the classic deeply-conflicted sense.

I both despise what's going on over there right now with a peoples' revolution being brutally crushed and I am also frightened with the track record of Western intervention anywhere other than other parts of The West, what with how it almost always ends up even worse than before except with a bunch of people dead along the way.

I take the idea of being ideologically schizoid as a compliment. That means that I'm not so married to ideology that I can't consider what's humane to the greatest number of people in the long-view of history.

What is ultimately humane is more important than sticking to a defined ideology as though it is a liferaft upon the deep murderous sea that is reality.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Libya
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 04:08:34 pm »

Things are not yet so bad that they can't get worse. I guess this is a good thing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Libya
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 09:50:28 pm »

Oh man, am I about to say "What Ash said" again??

I mean, on the one hand A-Cap is right. But on the other, I don't see how we can intervene every time a dictator does something horrible to his own people. There is too much horribleness in the world for one country to be responsible for stopping it all.

Also, do some people really think that "ambivalent" means "indifferent"? Because if so, I am going to pushed over the edge into being one of those crazy people who rail against the unstoppable changes in the language.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up