I want to restate my frustration here. I am not frustrated by the fact that Onstad quit making Achewood. It is his right and in that sense he owes us nothing. He's made quite a lot of content that I have enjoyed, and the vast majority of it has been enjoyed at no cost to me. If he wants to stop that, it's fine, it's his right. Watterson did the same thing, and while I would dearly love for there to be more Calvin and Hobbes, I still thank him for not making soulless joke-a-day cash-in Calvin and Hobbes, produced by Calhobs, inc. Achewood wouldn't be good if you didn't have the sense that Chris himself was just as surprised at the day's strip as you were.
I am frustrated that he quit in 2009 and didn't have the guts to tell us so we could go off and do other things. I'm frustrated he actively asked for donations while knowing he did not want to produce any new art. I'm frustrated because he produces what he acknowledges is substandard product and continues to charge for it.
And yeah, when he blames us for caring enough to express opinions, that frustrates me too. I was worried for him. I thought he was seriously depressed and needed help. No, turns out he's not depressed, really, but it's somehow my fault that he doesn't enjoy his job any more.
Again, I want to reiterate that I know how this feels. What I do is seen and interacted with by tens of thousands of people every day. A lot of them can't understand the difference between a rock and Edwin Moses, but feel justified in calling me an idiot, directly, on a web forum that my company pays for. It is disheartening to read that, because I know that if we talked we'd be able to at least come to an understanding. I'm really good at that, one on one. I can't do it on the web, because every thing I write is picked apart, scanned for clues, played backwards and at half speed, and generally dissected to produce further ways to disagree with me. If I ever leave this job, the yammering masses of entitled shitheads will be the reason why I do it.
But I'm not going to tell them that, because I think it's classless to do so. And that's what frustrates me about Chris' announcement most of all.