Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: HEY CHRIS WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?! WHERE ARE YOU? Finally answe  (Read 34082 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

Eh, if people can bitch about Onstad, then people can bitch about the other guys, too.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile

I, for one, don't give a shit. This whole thing reads like a break-up letter. Onstad is asking for 'A Break' because absence makes the heart grow fonder, we should see other people, etc. Its a good one, but any man worth his salt knows how to word craft a break up letter to an insane partner who criticizes comma placement and demands constant attention.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

As I drove around this afternoon I came to a realization.  This is a wonderful opportunity for us.  Now that the book is closed on Achewood it's time for us to concentrate on the archives. 

It is, as Onstad pointed out in his Fuck You letter, it's a huge body of work and it's never, to my knowledge, been given a scholarly analysis.  I'm envisioning essays about certain story arcs or specific strips of note.  Psychological profiles of the characters can be written, and their interactions with other characters.  Maybe dust off that achewiki that's been lying around useless for years.  Or maybe someone could register amomentarydiversion dot com and then the real fun could begin.  Oh boy!

Or we could at least reread the archives.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

At last Molly can take her rightful place in academic circles as literature's greatest villain.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:07:46 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile

Great idea there Paul.

I don't really get most of you.  What did Onstad do to you all?  He just stopped making comics, or am I missing something?  Because he didn't tell you?  Does it take that long to check a website every few days?

Thanks for the hella good comic strip Onstrad.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

Two things:

1) I love the idea of Dinosaur-Comixing some old strips. We used to make fan art all the time, remember those days? When we were young and the world was new and a hacked copy of Paintshop Pro could be downloaded without fear? Let's do this again. It was fun.

2) I also love the idea of picking a strip each week (hell, we could go through the archives in order if we wanted to) and just hell of discussing it to death. We got enough scholarly types with nowhere else to blow off steam to keep it going (the Title X thread is proof enough of that). I say, do it and I'll show up for the ball.

Bonus thing: I have discovered lately that when I'm annoyed with people I start to sound, inside my head, like Asherdan. Wombat, your figments are cross-pollinating, no more spicy food before bedtime.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

2) I also love the idea of picking a strip each week (hell, we could go through the archives in order if we wanted to) and just hell of discussing it to death. We got enough scholarly types with nowhere else to blow off steam to keep it going (the Title X thread is proof enough of that). I say, do it and I'll show up for the ball.

Bonus thing: I have discovered lately that when I'm annoyed with people I start to sound, inside my head, like Asherdan.

This made me actually laugh out loud.

Only one strip a week? Why not one per weekday. We can create the ideal world where Achewood updated every day.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile

That would be about the funniest thing in the world... in terms of concept but not in terms of execution.

A Taiwan-style government-in-exile Achewood generated by fans while the creator is busy charging three bucks a month on scans of his doodles on subscription cards while waiting in the dentist's office.

It would be a bad idea and probably disasterous but the concept is hilarious.

Web idea:  Chop up all of the achewood panels.

Chop up all of the dialogue.

Make a web database spit them out daily in a William S Burroughs cut up machine fashion.   Maybe a moderator pulls 10, and puts the most cohesive one up.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

This made me actually laugh out loud.

Only one strip a week? Why not one per weekday. We can create the ideal world where Achewood updated every day.

One strip a week, but the idea is that there would be multiple versions of it. So with enough of us posting, it could update every day, several times a day. 

Imagine!

Edit: This is what I get for not reading my own quoted sentences. I thought you were talking about item #1. Blurgh.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

These are all brilliant ideas.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook

Hey, I just realized my tiny chances of being able to get another Ray Prime Time Lime shirt just got even tinier.

schmegma and blort!

how much trouble d'you think someone would get in if they made their own merch?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

That is not a brilliant idea.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

I bought Great Leader's bootleg GOF shirt a few years back and wore it till it basically fell apart.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm

I, for one, don't give a shit.

This.

Like, I have never gone out of my way to meet writers whose work I admire. If they are jerks, I don't want to know it. Why spoil the work because you get cross at the person?

This (although maybe I'm the only person here who can separate the art from the artist? Mostly I really don't give a shit).

I don't really get most of you.  What did Onstad do to you all?  He just stopped making comics, or am I missing something?  Because he didn't tell you?  Does it take that long to check a website every few days?

Thanks for the hella good comic strip Onstrad.

And especially this.

A lot of bands that I've loved have fizzled out without explanation or announcement, or maybe were even dicks about it, and though I've been bummed that I won't hear any new music from them, it's not like I felt I put my life on hold. Same thing with Onstad.

But I get the frustration, and I guess he could have been more gracious about it.

Anyway, make some of this shit happen!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

the problem, the more I think about it, is partially the tension between all of the "art can be a job, writing can be a job, it is a real job. Would you do your job for free? no. You wouldn't. So give me money"
and everyone else in the world's experiences of what a job is like. You don't get your fancy "I'm an artist" excuses AND your "this is my job, it is a real job" arguments.

either artists are mystical beings struck by moonbeams, and sometimes they run out of moonbeams and have to journey inside of their own dreams, or they aren't. not both.



I sometimes do have trouble separating the art from the artist. I don't know. I guess I could imagine a world in which Steve Albini made music that I didn't hate, even though he is the biggest cockbag in the (music) universe. There have been points where I have tried to listen to his music and understand what makes it good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Up