Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: HEY CHRIS WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?! WHERE ARE YOU? Finally answe  (Read 34112 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

The Stones still play their old shit (they sort of have to) but Keith plays the songs completely differently now. Of course, you play Satisfaction 10,000 times and it probably loses its allure.

And if Cracked is to be believe he hates Satisfaction.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

Maybe. I saw an interview where he basically said that it bought him a villa in France and a mound of smack as high as an elephant's eye, so who knows?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

On the topic of paying for creative work:

Quote
You pay 5.99 for a mocha, dude. Why would you not pay it for a book?

http://yuki-onna.livejournal.com/636473.html
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

Tried really hard not to stop reading at "a song is a part of a whole." I don't buy that.

I'm sure I will live to be embarrassed that I once said this, but I will never pay money for an e-book or an mp3. That just doesn't compute. If I pay for a book I want to have the book. On paper.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:48:56 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

Smells, I am glad that giving up getting money for your creative work is working for you. But given that North American society isn't going to turn into Bali any time soon, if we want art, we need to be willing to pay for it.

Or become empowered to make it for each other. 

I'm not talking about not paying for art, but the reverse of everyone making art and not expecting to be paid to create it, and to be damn grateful if you're lucky enough to be.  As I think someone should feel damn lucky to be paid to eat (food critic) or breath (those born into wealth).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:50:48 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

I'm sure I will live to be embarrassed that I once said this, but I will never pay money for an e-book or an mp3. That just doesn't compute. If I pay for a book I want to have the book. On paper.

I once thought that. That was before I ran out of space for even one more bookshelf in this whole house.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

Tried really hard not to stop reading at "a song is a part of a whole." I don't buy that.

I'm sure I will live to be embarrassed that I once said this, but I will never pay money for an e-book or an mp3. That just doesn't compute. If I pay for a book I want to have the book. On paper.

I'll begin paying for e-books when they invent a universal format that works on any device. This is why I've been paying for mp3s since 1999 but have never used the iTunes "store" and have it parental blocked so it doesn't take up precious space in my side-bar.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

I said that thing about the universal format too, but it was also finally outweighed by the pile of books threatening to crush the life out of me.

I do have a couple that are PDFs which is universal enough for me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

I am trying to learn to use libraries, since I already have too many books I want to get rid of leftover from school (at some point in my life, I thought one day I might want to re-read Leviathan and Plato's Republic), but recently I bought some books with a giftcard I found in my luggage. Oops.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

I'm sure I will live to be embarrassed that I once said this, but I will never pay money for an e-book or an mp3. That just doesn't compute. If I pay for a book I want to have the book. On paper.
Why?  The author never touched that paper.  Or probably any paper these days.  Probably they email the manuscript to their editor.  Nothing magic about the medium, its the effort of writing/composing/recording, plus whatever ineffable quality there is to "art" that you (should be) are paying for.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

I said that thing about the universal format too, but it was also finally outweighed by the pile of books threatening to crush the life out of me.
Tell me about it.  And I live in California (7 miles from the Hayward Fault!) so that is actually a realistic fate scenario for me.  Sadly the bookshelves have been relegated to the garage, because although crushing me is a risk/reward benefit my wife was willing to entertain, having our spawn buried under Robert Parker's ouvre and an exhaustive collection of martial art references was unacceptable.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Probably they email the manuscript to their editor. 

This is correct. I got the contracts and the checks on paper; no other paper has been involved.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

Why?  The author never touched that paper.  Or probably any paper these days.  Probably they email the manuscript to their editor.  Nothing magic about the medium, its the effort of writing/composing/recording, plus whatever ineffable quality there is to "art" that you (should be) are paying for.

I like having books on paper for a few reasons. I like to be able to read in places where it is more comfortable/convenient to have a book than a device (bathtub is one that comes to mind). I like the experience of reading the printed word. Also, as I get older, a luxury I am exploring is signed/first editions.

Not that I'm against e-books. I have some on my phone.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

I love print books way too much to ever give them up.  I love their smell.  I love abusing them and wearing them down over several re-readings.  I love old books that have been read by many other eyes and show that wear and tear.  I love treating books with total disregard and finding sand in them from a past visit to the beach, a stain from when I fell asleep in the tub, a leaf or flower pressed between the pages that brings me back to another time and place.  I love piling up books.  I love finding a book I forgot about because it fell behind something.  I love pacing my reading by looking at where my book mark sits and I love the feeling of the journey through the pages, the anticipation and sorrow when I seen I'm down to a couple millimeters worth of pages left on a good book.  I love my shelves of books, in all their colour and disarray.  I love how the experience of a physical book can take me back to that first reading, or remind me, when unread, of a promising future where I have time to read more. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Back on topic: since I am lying on the couch feeling sick and there is nothing on TV, I am listening to this  podcast so you don't have to:
http://ww.libsyn.com/webcomics-weekly-78-creative-vs-commerce

Four long-time webcomics guys are complaining about Onstad's blog post. Briefly, they agree with many of you that think he is a whiner and he should have thanked the readers.  Also a lot of stuff about art and commerce. And the creative process.

If you decide to listen, note that they don't manage to get started on the topic till about 25 minutes in.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Up