Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: HEY CHRIS WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?! WHERE ARE YOU? Finally answe  (Read 34005 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

And I still maintain that if you are writing a serial you have an obligation to your readers to finish it. 

Hm.

Can you mention this to Piers Anthony so he will stop spewing out whatever it is he does?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

GOD those last dark tower books destroyed my enjoyment of the first three. now i hear he's working on another. whatever, i'm done, ain't gonna read it. felcher.

I've been reading them on and off for a couple of years, I'm up to wolves of Canaan (I think that's what it's called, the one after wizard and glass, which I thought was a bit tangential but alright for what it was). Should I not cause myself myself the pain of knowledge and just imagine what could have been?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

But unless you have your release schedule announced ahead of time, are you obligated to spend every waking hour working on said serial until it is done?

I don't have a personal stake in the debate because I never read serials.  They almost all suck.  
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

And to be fair, I don't... think I ever said that the guy didn't have a RIGHT to erect a paywall.

I just thought it was disingenuous to move so much of the peripheral material to it mid-stream (when he used to occasionally did something on that earlier paywall thing, I wasn't nearly as offended as when he moved ALL the blogs and peripheral material except the strips to the paywall) and...

More importantly, I thought it would be creatively stifling (which might still be part of his problem) and I thought it would be bad for business in the long run.

If you're making six figures selling books and shirts because people keep coming to your site every day for the little blogs and sketches and whatever between the sparse actual strip updates, why would you limit the growth of your fanbase by shoving that all behind a paywall? That's the thing that's most madnessing. It's like slitting the goose that lays the golden eggs because you no longer have the feature to draw in NEW hardcore fans.

You're just skimming three bucks a month off the old fans instead of bringing in new ones to buy hundreds of dollars of shirts and books every month. That's what drove me up a fuck*ng wall more than anything.

Maybe I said at some point he didn't have a "right" but I'm sure I was being stupid that day. Some days I forget my anxiety medicine to be blunt about it and I apologize for that.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

wait, he kept writing the blogs? I can read more blog posts if I pay the three bucks? I remember liking the blogs a lot.

Hm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

wait, he kept writing the blogs? I can read more blog posts if I pay the three bucks? I remember liking the blogs a lot.

Hm.

I liked the blogs a lot too.


Maybe Chris is just a shitty businessman.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile

I've been reading them on and off for a couple of years, I'm up to wolves of Canaan (I think that's what it's called, the one after wizard and glass, which I thought was a bit tangential but alright for what it was). Should I not cause myself myself the pain of knowledge and just imagine what could have been?

YYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSS

if i could un-read wizard&glass and everything after, i would
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

What about skipping to the last one? I want some closure, damnit.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook

I want some closure, damnit.

amen.  im on the wolf one, too.  i noticed that it has gotten sketchy after the third one, just like everyone said, but im seeing this through to the end.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile

skip to the like fifth from the last page of the last one, and be warned: i wanted closure, too.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

Occam called, he needs a trim.


But... Occam is the one with the razor, wouldn't they be calling him for a trim?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile

i think every artist has an intrinsic right to be bat-shit insane to an extent that their worldview makes absolutely no rational sense.

i think that most, if not all, artists who aren't bat-shit insane don't usually make great art.

i think that the creator of a good or product of any sort has the right to say "fuck it, i quit" in exactly the same way that any service worker or laborer has.

i think that if a creator of art produces a product loved and adored to such an extent that his or her fanbase gets pissed off when they cease producing more of it
gets pissed off because their fanbase loves his or her product that much that they are bat-shit insane.

LIFE IS A CIRCLE OF LIFE.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

But unless you have your release schedule announced ahead of time, are you obligated to spend every waking hour working on said serial until it is done?

I'd rather GRRM take the time to write a book he thinks is good enough to release rather than rushing it because the internet wants it yesterday.

I'm not saying this is wrong. I'm just saying because of his track-record I'm waiting for the last book to come out before I buy the first one. It's not like he's some unknown author where the publisher might drop him because the existing books aren't selling well enough. The fear of that is part of why I've been buying the Malazan Book of the Fallen series in hardcover as they come out.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

I'm not saying this is wrong. I'm just saying because of his track-record I'm waiting for the last book to come out before I buy the first one. It's not like he's some unknown author where the publisher might drop him because the existing books aren't selling well enough. The fear of that is part of why I've been buying the Malazan Book of the Fallen series in hardcover as they come out.

This is why I don't watch TV - I can't take the chance that they won't be able to follow through the whole creative arc and achieve the finish they want to deliver. Unfortunately other people do the same, making it a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

This is why I don't watch TV - I can't take the chance that they won't be able to follow through the whole creative arc and achieve the finish they want to deliver. Unfortunately other people do the same, making it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I was going to ignore Dollhouse just for this reason but my girlfriend at the time insisted we watch. Though I did give up on both Lost and BSG when the writers admitted that while they implied a huge story arc they were making it up as they went.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up