Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2001-10-01- Philipe is standing on it  (Read 3012 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
2001-10-01- Philipe is standing on it
« on: March 23, 2011, 06:14:44 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10012001



When I first read this comic I had never used a drum machine.  It turns out those things are a pain in the ass.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:02:47 pm by pmcd9 »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 10/01/2001- Philipe is standing on it
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:30:20 am »

The story begins with the characters' angst in the face of their inability to figure out how to play loops.

The story ends with the creator's angst in the face his self-perception that he no longer knew how to not play on a loop.

Coincidence?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 10/01/2001- Philipe is standing on it
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:44:16 am »

Probably just misinterpreting.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 10/01/2001- Philipe is standing on it
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 08:40:17 am »

Better than not interpreting at all!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 10/01/2001- Philipe is standing on it
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 11:38:59 am »

What the fuck. This comic strip is obviously never going to go anywhere. It can't possibly succeed.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 10/01/2001- Philipe is standing on it
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 01:00:13 pm »

Now that I have 2 kids with autism, this does not seem like utter nonsense to me. I can really empathize with Teodor's decision to remain confounded by the drum machine.

Disturbing Phillipe's bizarre behavior just isn't worth it. I get it, I totally get it.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-01- Philipe is standing on it
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 01:16:09 pm »

I've never been quite able to put my finger on why this strip works for me.  Is it because it comes out of left field?  Well there's that.  The unexpected always tends to make me laugh.  Is it because they don't try to explain the joke?  Well there's that too.  A lesser strip would have shown their hand and followed up with other similar strips that drove the point home to make sure you get the joke.  Part of Onstad's genius I think, and as stated in his farewell speech a reason for ending the strip, is his refusal to repeat himself.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 2001-10-01- Philipe is standing on it
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 01:38:57 pm »

It's interesting to me that he got away from this type of non-joke, but not immediately. I think this trip is in the best tradition of "Illegal Ghost Bikes".
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-01- Philipe is standing on it
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 01:51:06 pm »

But I think the absurd/non-joke thing remained an element of Achewood till the end.  I don't feel like digging up examples, but I think combining that absurdity with the ongoing plotlines and character development is a big part of what makes Achewood Achewood.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-01- Philippe is standing on it
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 03:02:13 pm »

I contend that if you do not like this particular strip, you will not like Achewood.

Also, a quick check with ohno***** informs me that this is Onstad's only use of the words "utterly" and "confounds".
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-01- Philippe is standing on it
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 03:36:15 pm »

Also, a quick check with ohno***** informs me that this is Onstad's only use of the words "utterly" and "confounds".

He didn't like to repeat himself.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 2001-10-01- Philipe is standing on it
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 03:59:40 pm »

But I think the absurd/non-joke thing remained an element of Achewood till the end.  I don't feel like digging up examples, but I think combining that absurdity with the ongoing plotlines and character development is a big part of what makes Achewood Achewood.

I just meant that in this strip, as in "bikes", there doesn't seem to be anything else - but I agree with the illustrious Victoria that this strip is sort of a canary in the coal mine for whether you're going to like the strip or not.

I'm intrigued by the autism/wall theory. It makes me think of Temple Grandin (not sure of the name) - I remember seeing a movie about her long ago that discussed the chute thing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-01- Philippe is standing on it
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 04:17:39 pm »

I contend that if you do not like this particular strip, you will not like Achewood.

I think this is right, even though the majority of the other strips are nothing like it. It's a wonderful mystery.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-01- Philipe is standing on it
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 06:02:30 pm »

I'd love to see them put the drum machine to good use.  How cute are stuffed animals dancing?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 2001-10-01- Philipe is standing on it
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 06:08:44 pm »

online drum machines are really fun.

It drives me crazy that software/online drum machines always try to really faithfully recreate a physical drum machine, with all of its limitations. I can see a potential drum machine program in my head that is so damn intuitive and great and lets you do all kinds of crazy things. Weird time signatures, polyrhythms, etc.

I love this strip. Part of what I like is the structure of "We have the instruction manual for it. Phillipe is standing on it."

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up