Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Elizabeth Taylor dead  (Read 3395 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Taylor dead
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:17:56 pm »

Elizabeth Taylor is dead.

I don't have a lot to say.  She was iconic for me, but in a weird detached way.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Elizabeth Taylor dead
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:41:27 pm »

I almost posted this. I haven't seen very many of her films, I'm sorry to say. She was amazing in Hot Tin Roof - that's a terrific movie. She also had lunch with Nikita Khruschev.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Elizabeth Taylor dead
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 10:49:25 pm »

i never really discovered why liz taylor was such a big deal.  the only thing about her that i really know is that she was friends with michael jackson.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Elizabeth Taylor dead
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:55:12 pm »

i never really discovered why liz taylor was such a big deal.  the only thing about her that i really know is that she was friends with michael jackson.

Quote from: Ralph Wiggum
I can learn! Really!

From the last link: VIEW one particular episode in which Taylor took on a big challenge: To get President Reagan to deliver a major speech on the crisis. It was 1987. The actress, who was serving as the national chairman of the American Foundation for AIDS Research (amfAR), wrote a letter to her old Hollywood friend and colleague, and his wife Nancy, asking him to talk about AIDS at amfAR's fundraising dinner. Her letter was from the heart, and it was persuasive.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Taylor dead
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 11:28:37 pm »

That's going to be an awkward funeral with all those ex-husbands.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Taylor dead
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 11:42:57 pm »

The earliest memory I have of Elizabeth Taylor is the commercial for her perfume.  I couldn't understand why the slightly portly lady was a big deal or why she was filmed in such an soft focused overexposed manner when all the rest of the characters were in clear focus.  I think because I got introduced to her not with images of her when she was in her prime, but from this commercial, I never really understood the mystique. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Taylor dead
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 11:52:16 pm »

That's going to be an awkward funeral with all those ex-husbands.

Are any of them still alive?

I'm with Smells. She is too much before my time to have any meaning for me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Taylor dead
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 11:55:25 pm »

The earliest memory I have of Elizabeth Taylor is the commercial for her perfume.  I couldn't understand why the slightly portly lady was a big deal or why she was filmed in such an soft focused overexposed manner when all the rest of the characters were in clear focus.  I think because I got introduced to her not with images of her when she was in her prime, but from this commercial, I never really understood the mystique. 

Exactly. I don't think I've ever seen one of her movies but I've been seeing this commercial for decades.

Are any of them still alive?

I think one of VA's former senator Warner is one of her exes. I feel like when we first moved here my mom was all "our senator is Elizabeth Taylor's ex-husband!" and I was all "who?"
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Elizabeth Taylor dead
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 11:59:02 pm »

You guys remember Reagan though, right? And how he basically acted as if AIDS didn't exist, because if he talked about AIDS the only queer he knew, Rock Hudson, would get outed?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Elizabeth Taylor dead
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 12:10:11 am »

Taylor was like Garbo to me, yeah.

I knew there was supposed to be some cultural significance but I was just too young to feel it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Taylor dead
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 12:27:45 am »

Google up a picture of her when she was in her prime.  She's one of the most beautiful women that has ever lived.  And she was a damn fine actress to boot. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Taylor dead
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 01:18:12 am »

You guys remember Reagan though, right? And how he basically acted as if AIDS didn't exist, because if he talked about AIDS the only queer he knew, Rock Hudson, would get outed?

I've completely blacked that era out of my memory.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Elizabeth Taylor dead
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 01:53:07 am »

I've completely blacked that era out of my memory.

It's amazing, really, that a sitting President would just refuse to acknowledge the existence of something like that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Elizabeth Taylor dead
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 02:45:16 am »

Oh, I mean, she was beautiful as hell.

But I can't relate to her specific cultural significance.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Elizabeth Taylor dead
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 03:15:25 am »

Oh, I mean, she was beautiful as hell.

But I can't relate to her specific cultural significance.

Oh well. You should check out the whole Eddie giraffeer - Debbie Reynolds thing. Pretty crazy. They had to sit them on separate sides of the room when they had the Khruschev dinner. That's amazing to me - the leader of the USSR comes over here at the height of the Cold War and they do this hoss-trading deal so these two don't get into a cat fight.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up