Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2001-10-03- One minute!  (Read 4528 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
2001-10-03- One minute!
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:01:48 am »

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-03- One minute!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:17:59 am »

Unlike the first two, this one doesn't really work as Achewood any more. It's as if it's just random characters saying the lines, not Cornelius, Teodor, Philippe, and a really odd-looking Lyle.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 2001-10-03- One minute!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 06:19:52 am »

I went to the google search because I was like "He misspelled Schwartz as Shwarz!"

And then I found out it was actually "Schwarz" and we were both wrong.

And also since this strip came out, FAO Schwarz folded as a chain and is just the one Manhattan landmark location operating as a rump brand under the Toys R Us umbrella.

Which is depressing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-03- One minute!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 12:57:34 pm »

a really odd-looking Lyle.

It's like a stylized version of Lyle.  The logo version, maybe.

He was really hammered that day.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 2001-10-03- One minute!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 01:44:38 pm »

Yeah, this one . . . he's trying to find his way, maybe?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-03- One minute!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 02:15:39 pm »

i've always liked this one. that's the first time lyle appears, but it's kind of surprising how much he's changed relative to the other three. the thought of a toy store catalog being the alive-stuffed-animal version of roommates sharing a playboy subscription is just squicky enough to really fit with achewood.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-03- One minute!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 02:57:15 pm »

I actually had no idea what FAO Schwarz was when I originally read this strip and thought it was probably like the Williams-Sonoma catalogue, which at the time, I used to enjoy purusing in the bathroom.

Since I just checked into it, I realize that the FAO Schwarz catalogue would probably have more interest for alive stuffed animals than a kitchen wear catalogue, although with some of their personalities, it would certainly be a toss up.

Side note:  if I were to order a Muppet Whatnot from FAO Schwarz my husband would lose his shit.  He has the entire series of Fraggle Rock on DVD and watches it regularly (when doing the dishes for some reason).
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-03- One minute!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 04:55:14 pm »

watches it regularly (when doing the dishes for some reason.

What is it with men about not being able to do a normal household chore without some kind of outside entertainment? Pedro watches/listens to The Daily Show while he watches the dishes. Colbert, too, if it's a heavy pots-and-pans night.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-03- One minute!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 05:05:28 pm »

when else would we watch our just-for-us stories
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-03- One minute!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 05:24:00 pm »

I can't do that stuff without listening to NPR. I need something to block out the voices in my head.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 2001-10-03- One minute!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 05:30:03 pm »

What is it with men about not being able to do a normal household chore without some kind of outside entertainment? Pedro watches/listens to The Daily Show while he watches the dishes. Colbert, too, if it's a heavy pots-and-pans night.

Because it's boring as fuck? I don't know. All I do is listen to music, but then again if I had the TV on everything would get broken. We only have TVs in our living room (inside a cabinet) and up in the workout room.

I will say that I haven't had a TV in the bedroom for about fifteen years and I'm very happy about that change.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-03- One minute!
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 05:32:07 pm »

It's odd - watching the Fraggles causes serious problems related to the dish washing.  He often gets drawn in to the program, and ends up sitting down with the dish towel over his shoulder.  Washing the dishes can take him hours when the task should really only take around 30 minutes max.  He really draws it out and procrastinates, yet he hates doint them and avoids doing them until I have to basically lay down the law.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-03- One minute!
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 05:37:27 pm »

I always wish I could have TDS and Colbert on while I cook and clean up but they have too much stuff that requires you actually seeing it. I'll sometimes wash dishes during the interviews since they're typically totally uninteresting to me but typically I just go the music route. In fact typically the only times I listen to music at home are while cooking or cleaning. I find listening to music any other time too boring.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-03- One minute!
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 06:14:40 pm »

Because it's boring as fuck? I don't know. All I do is listen to music, but then again if I had the TV on everything would get broken. We only have TVs in our living room (inside a cabinet) and up in the workout room.

I will say that I haven't had a TV in the bedroom for about fifteen years and I'm very happy about that change.

Oh, we only have TVs in our living room and the playroom, but we have a computer in the kitchen. When he's doing a chore that doesn't involve being near the computer, he can either stream Netflix on his iPhone or listen to an audio book.

It's odd - watching the Fraggles causes serious problems related to the dish washing.  He often gets drawn in to the program, and ends up sitting down with the dish towel over his shoulder.  Washing the dishes can take him hours when the task should really only take around 30 minutes max.

This. It takes me, literally, 10 minutes to unload the dishwasher, and five more to load. He doesn't wipe down the countertops or clean the sink or any of the normal things associated with "cleaning the kitchen" -- this is strictly washing dishes. I try to have the dishwasher emptied in the morning so that breakfast and lunch dishes can go right in, but of course that doesn't always happen. Even so, this is not more than a fifteen minute job. And yet, he sometimes watches two or three episodes of TDS or Colbert while working on it...because he's watching first and cleaning second.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 2001-10-03- One minute!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 06:25:49 pm »

FAO Schwarz used to have an enormous, three-story store inside the Forum Shops at Caesars Palace in Vegas, noted for the enormous wooden Trojan hoss out front.  It was hell of fun to romp around in, even without kids, especially when you were drunk as shit from getting free drinks while playing blackjack all day.  A nice break from the casinos.  Alas, it is no more.  Not sure if they've put something else in that space.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up