Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Upcoming shows  (Read 26836 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Upcoming shows
« on: March 25, 2011, 09:30:49 pm »

I think I had a topic like this way back when, but I thought it might be interesting and instructive to start up a new one, especially considering that AW is playing shows now (anyone who caught that ought to give us a review).

April 8th: The English Beat - Ska. I'm pretty psyched about this show. I wouldn't call myself a big fan, but they've got some songs that are definitely deep in my ol' brainpan. I had forgotten that Ranking Roger was in this band before General Public.

April 11th: Raphael Saadiq - formerly of  Tony! Toni! Toné! Used to be New Jack Swing, I guess. He's more old school R&B (think Smokey Robinson). I'm pretty excited about this show. He played Portland several years ago, but I wasn't in town.

May 20th: The Thermals - local sort of power-pop supergroup, I guess. We saw them open for somebody several years ago but I can't remember who, and I think we may have shown up halfway through. Anyway, it ought to be fun.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 03:05:04 am »

April 8th: The English Beat - Ska. I'm pretty psyched about this show. I wouldn't call myself a big fan, but they've got some songs that are definitely deep in my ol' brainpan. I had forgotten that Ranking Roger was in this band before General Public.

If you're not a big fan, you're perhaps not aware that there are now two English Beats: The English Beat, which tours North America and has Dave Wakeling, and The Beat, which tours Britain and Europe and has Ranking Roger. Oddly enough, both are playing shows on April 8th - The English Beat in Portland, Oregon, and The Beat in Waterford, Ireland.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 04:19:35 am »

Wilco is coming up in May.  I'm expecting to be given free tickets by people that can get them.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 07:24:07 am »

I am seeing Beans in April, maybe Queens of the Stone Age in April and another show I can't remember.  Oh Mike Watt and the Missingmen.  April 22.  Beans is April 26.  He is opening for someone I can't remember the name of, but it is kinda electro-y.  I saw him open for Tortoise like 6 years ago in OKC, just using a portable cd player +cdr for beats.  It was fuck*ng sick.

Beans was in Anti-Pop Consortium for anyone who finds that info useful.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 07:40:21 am »

holy crap!

in the next month:
Ty Segall, The Fresh & Onlys, Black Lips, Vivian Girls, Lightning Bolt.

YEAHH.

I have previously seen Vivian Girls, Black Lips, and Lightning Bolt. All are awesome. and Ty Segall put out my favorite record of last year (by a lot).

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 02:50:21 pm »

If you're not a big fan, you're perhaps not aware that there are now two English Beats: The English Beat, which tours North America and has Dave Wakeling, and The Beat, which tours Britain and Europe and has Ranking Roger. Oddly enough, both are playing shows on April 8th - The English Beat in Portland, Oregon, and The Beat in Waterford, Ireland.

Weird - what I read said the only reason the English Beat was called that was to differentiate them from the Beat, as if they were two very different bands.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 03:21:56 pm »

Weird - what I read said the only reason the English Beat was called that was to differentiate them from the Beat, as if they were two very different bands.

They were, but back in the 80's. The Beat, the British band with Wakeling and Roger, was called The English Beat in North America, to distinguish them from the completely unrelated band The Beat, who were from LA. The Beat from LA were known as Paul Collins' Beat in Europe, to distinguish them from The (English) Beat.

Today however, The (English) Beat have split up; Roger's side of the split tours mostly Europe, so they've kept the original name, The Beat, whereas Wakeling's side tours mostly North America, so they're now officially The English Beat.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 04:26:59 pm »

Kind of like Wham! and Wham! UK.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 02:38:09 am »

I want to see the Black Lips so bad.  I went to their myspace, and they slowly move west, then stop in kansas city, go to texas then europe.  Fuck dudes, just come to colorado.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 06:21:04 am »

I want to see the Black Lips so bad.  I went to their myspace, and they slowly move west, then stop in kansas city, go to texas then europe.  Fuck dudes, just come to colorado.

They're coming to SLC in mid June. I just checked for you, June 19 at Bluebird Theater.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 06:28:39 am »

I saw Calexico today in Tucson. That was pretty cool. Next week is Acid Mothers Temple, Mike Watt in a few weeks (he came around a couple years ago and it was so good), then the Black Angels and Cass McCombs the first weekend of May. And of course Black Lips in June. And a few others I don't have tickets for but may go.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 06:39:22 am »

Oh shit, after they come back from Europe, nice!

Bluebird is the best venue in denver too.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 08:40:43 am »

I am going to see the Black Lips (my favorite band) at Bluebird (my favorite venue) on June 19th.  It will be sick.  The first time in a while I am seeing one of my favorite bands in their absolute prime.  I missed the Black Angels cause I didn't think the would sell out, but if they are coming to SLC maybe they will come to Denver again.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 03:44:54 pm »

Yeah, I would check to see if the Black Angels are headed your way too. They were in SLC recently and I missed it because I was busy studying. I wish I could make it down to the Austin Psych Fest which is the week before.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 09:03:05 pm »

May 5th my friend.  Thanks for the tips
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up