Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Upcoming shows  (Read 26818 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2011, 08:45:01 pm »

I still like to go right up to the stage.

I base it on how big a fan I am of the band. If I know every word to most every song then I'm as close to front row as possible. Otherwise I'll hang back.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2011, 08:59:21 pm »

I like to get 'so close to stage I'll probably scare the band' to paraphrase Mike Damone from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2011, 09:21:54 pm »

I still like to go right up to the stage.

Oh hell no. I watch from the balcony these days.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2011, 09:53:40 pm »

Yeah, in a standing room only show, I have to really love the band to stand up front where there's nowhere to sit without losing your place...

Because being heavy and out of shape, standing through the two opening acts and then the show means I'm on my feet standing in one place for four hours.

Which means I won't be able to walk the next day.

Which means I have to really love the damn act.

I think I've done this twice in the last two years, for Tim and Eric in Albany and the Eels in Brooklyn. This is how much I love those acts, I gave up walking for a day for them.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2011, 11:32:35 pm »

The last few times I went to the stage I had to get physical with some folks for not being neighborly. I hate that shit.

you were fighting skinheads at hXc shows?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2011, 12:22:55 am »

you were fighting skinheads at hXc shows?

I went and saw the Cult and the Cliks with my wife and some fuck*ng drunken douchebag was flailing his arms, lashing out with his elbows. It's one thing to do shit like that at a Dwarves show or something, but the Cult is sort of hippieish. So when he was pogoing I grabbed him by the waistband and tossed him over the security barrier.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2011, 12:42:02 am »

That is why you are the coolest person in the world.  I love this. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2011, 01:07:44 am »

I went and saw the Cult and the Cliks with my wife and some fuck*ng drunken douchebag was flailing his arms, lashing out with his elbows. It's one thing to do shit like that at a Dwarves show or something, but the Cult is sort of hippieish. So when he was pogoing I grabbed him by the waistband and tossed him over the security barrier.

The Cliks? Is that the band with the f-to-me transgendered lead singer? Their first album is pretty awesome and does not sound like the kind of music people would get crazy to
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2011, 04:14:31 am »

My girlfriend gets as close as humanly possible to any band, even if she doesn't particularly like them. My impulse at any show is to wander randomly around the crowd. These come into conflict.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2011, 04:19:07 am »

I went and saw the Cult and the Cliks with my wife and some fuck*ng drunken douchebag was flailing his arms, lashing out with his elbows. It's one thing to do shit like that at a Dwarves show or something, but the Cult is sort of hippieish. So when he was pogoing I grabbed him by the waistband and tossed him over the security barrier.

the cult, eh?  hm.

werent they originally called 'southern death cult'?

also, you get a can for that.  dave grohl and ian mackay would be proud.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2011, 04:27:49 am »

Yes, originally SDC. It's the guy who joined the Doors for just a little bit to tour with them. I wouldn't have even fucked with this clown, but I kept trying to get the security guy's attention and would glance over and blow me off. I'm not having some asshole bash my wife in the face and re-break her nose.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2011, 11:24:56 am »

I went and saw the Cult and the Cliks with my wife and some fuck*ng drunken douchebag was flailing his arms, lashing out with his elbows. It's one thing to do shit like that at a Dwarves show or something, but the Cult is sort of hippieish. So when he was pogoing I grabbed him by the waistband and tossed him over the security barrier.

At some point I noticed that a lot of douche bags were showing up at Built to Spill shows. Probably primarily 21+ shows in Salt Lake. You'd think some of these dudes had never had a beer before, right? Well, at this one show there was a guy up front with a pretty nice camera snapping some photos. Keep in mind this is Built to Spill and not Suicidal Tendencies, so he had reasonable expectations of keeping his camera safe. We were a couple rows back and noticed this drunk dickhead flailing his arms and weaving back and forth kinda violently, and he kept bumping the photographer. So after a while the guy has had enough and turns toward the douche bag and kinda gets into it with him. Doesn't throw any punches but gets into his face and there's some yelling and then there's some shoving. And then, out of nowhere, like a bird of prey rising from its nest with it's wings spread wide, an enormous security guard appears from the barrier between the crowd and the stage and lifts both guys by the back of their collars up off their feet, gracefully but forcefully carries (OK, maybe drags, but in my memory the dudes were at least a foot off the ground the whole time) them through the crowd, which of course quickly parts, and throws the dudes out. Totally sucked for the photographer but its not like any of us were going to get in the security guard's face and tell him about it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2011, 01:51:44 pm »

Tonight I'm seeing The Head and the Heart with Thao with the Get Down Stay Down opening.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2011, 03:52:31 pm »

Weird Al Tonight.  Toadies tomorrow.  Cake on Sunday.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2011, 04:24:59 pm »

Cake are a band I loved in High School, and I'm kind of scared to listen to them now because I want to remember them fondly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up