Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Upcoming shows  (Read 26895 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2011, 04:57:06 pm »

Recently failed to see:
Man Man, Melt Banana, Matthew Sweet.

I feel like bands I like used to come to St Louis a lot more often. What gives?
I remember within a month of starting school I saw/wanted to see Sufjan Stevens, Sonic Youth, the Flaming Lips, Built to Spill. Those are some big names!

Wow, they must be, because I recognize three of them!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2011, 04:41:02 am »

Recently failed to see:
Man Man, Melt Banana, Matthew Sweet.

I feel like bands I like used to come to St Louis a lot more often. What gives?
I remember within a month of starting school I saw/wanted to see Sufjan Stevens, Sonic Youth, the Flaming Lips, Built to Spill. Those are some big names!

Melt Banana just played PDX - or maybe the show is coming up. I can't remember.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2011, 08:37:41 pm »

St. Louis people, by which I mainly mean Inev, I guess, it was just announced that at Mike Doughty's show this week MC Frontalot will now be opening. I am so jealous.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2011, 09:10:33 pm »

We're getting Frontalot a week from Friday, we're trying to arrange a sitter so we can go. It happens to be the seventeenth anniversary of our first date, so we can use that to leverage the grandparents if necessary.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2011, 10:39:11 pm »

when is that fucker ever gonna come to Houston?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2011, 11:14:02 pm »

Going to see Dinosaur Jr. on December 16th. I've missed them the last few times, and I hate the Crystal, but I'm pretty into this idea.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2011, 02:32:37 am »

Going to see Dinosaur Jr. on December 16th. I've missed them the last few times, and I hate the Crystal, but I'm pretty into this idea.

I saw the Jesus Lizard there. They were great but the whole setup was terrible.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2011, 08:22:17 am »

Going to see Dinosaur Jr. on December 16th. I've missed them the last few times, and I hate the Crystal, but I'm pretty into this idea.

Hey, did you go? I ended up in Seattle this past week after having to reschedule some vacation days due to a recent job change at work. The other day I was down by Pike Place eating breakfast at this place I like, and when I was leaving I passed the Showbox and saw them on the marquee. I called a friend to see if he was going and not only did he have tickets, he had a spare one for me. Anyway, it was good. The last time I had a ticket to see Dinosaur Jr, Oregon was playing USC and the game was important, and I had to leave to catch the show. So, understandably I think, I was really annoyed to learn that they were stuck in Colorado or something. I was able to catch the very end and we won, but still.

Also, Henry Rollins interviewed the band on stage before they played, and it was kinda cool and kinda weird. Rollins is super intense and asked them about how they were kinda seen as slacker exemplars and that he was really annoyed by this because he knew how hard musicians had to work. And they were all pretty much like, yeah we are kinda totally slackers in a lot of ways.

But the main thing was that Rollins bitched about how terrible Crystal is for the reason I mentioned above. More specifically, the setup sucks because of how the floor is divided between drinkers and non-drinkers. It makes it hard to get a good spot.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2011, 05:18:24 pm »

He's absolutely right. The floor is shit because of the bouncing. Every other idiot wants to pogo around all over the place (including way in the back). The sound sucks, and there's the separation thing (although we were up near the barrier so we could see pretty well) and in the summer it's like 110 degrees in there.

Henry interviewed them here, too. He was talking about how music as an art form is such a struggle and Lou Barlow just started laughing at him and told Henry the reason he played music is because it was like not having a job at all.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2011, 10:34:00 am »

Tool are playing a few shows in the northeast next month, I'm gonna try to go to the Mohegan Sun one, take acid at the show then go to the roulette table to pull a Tony Soprano.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2012, 10:55:04 pm »

Dresden Dolls last night. Awesome.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2012, 04:30:17 pm »

Yeah, pretty sure they toured the US last year. I've seen Amanda Palmer live before but those two together really is something else. Very awesome.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2012, 07:42:31 am »

Saw Built to Spill in Boise! Always been a dream.

Also, I think it's probably ridiculous to like Dead Can Dance, but I'm way fuck*ng excited for this tour. Playing Salt Lake on a Friday.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2012, 06:16:13 pm »

Did BtS just play their stuff? The first time I saw them they did, and the second time they played that Halobenders set and quite frankly it sucked. Man, I would have loved to see them in Boise when I lived there.

Our next show is Jack White in Eugene.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2012, 12:15:52 am »

It was just the five current band members, and not a single cover. Best BtS show I've seen in some years.

I wondered if there would be a Halo Benders set because Calvin Johnson played in Salt Lake the night before, and the band who played with them opened for BtS in Boise. I love the Halo Benders but much prefer an all BtS set.

FWIW, Doug seemed more at ease than many of the times I've seen him before.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up