Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Upcoming shows  (Read 26756 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2012, 12:20:56 am »

I guess sucked was sort of strong. I definitely liked that all BtS show better, even if they didn't do Freebird (would link to the YT, but I'm on my phone).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2012, 12:26:14 am »

my roommate got me on the guest list for an upcoming Mission of Burma show for my birthday. Which is the perfect birthday present, because it costs him nothing but will make me very happy. It is at a venue that is... a lot smaller than where I would imagine seeing Mission of Burma.

End of next month is Real Estate. They are really fun and good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2012, 12:27:05 am »

Oh man, their Freebird is so good. SO. GOOD.

Having a genuinely good cover of Freebird to throw out at the sarcastic request, that's the good stuff.

That's how you manage people throwin' around dimestore irony like loose nukes.

http://youtu.be/x8whmIaeftQ
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2012, 12:45:56 am »

Oh man, their Freebird is so good. SO. GOOD.

I hate to disagree, but compared to Skynyrd that version was hella lame.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2012, 01:22:12 am »

I saw them play it three weeks before that video was taken. I've enjoyed a lot of their live covers and love a few but I always kind of hate it because it just means one less song they'll be playing from Ultimate Alternative Wavers. My only real complaint about the recent show was that they only played one song from that album. Well, it was also very light on my favorite Perfect From Now On material too.

I hate to disagree, but compared to Skynyrd that version was hella lame.

I know very few people who love Built to Spill as much as I do, and I kind of agree with that. I just remember thinking it was kind of funny that they actually played it, but otherwise wasn't too impressed.

Listen to this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F9amPUZokg
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2012, 05:43:49 am »

I hate to disagree, but compared to Skynyrd that version was hella lame.

what kind of asshole would compare a cover of free bird to the original?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2012, 06:52:31 am »

Listen to this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F9amPUZokg

That's the only Built to Spill song that I really know well and I love it a bunch.  I picked up a few BtS albums last year, but haven't really gotten into listening to them yet.  I think they came my way about the same time as all that Thin Lizzy that Nabu gifted me with.  I should give them some ear time soon.

what kind of asshole would compare a cover of free bird to the original?

Okay, you're probably right.  I should have simply said, that irrespective of the original, the version sMets offered was lame.  I felt like they were half assing their way through it and it showed. It sounded like what it was, a bad cover version.

By way of contrast, I offer you this cover version which pays deep respect to the source material.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:05:07 pm by AugustWest »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2012, 11:07:11 pm »

I went to Wild Flag last night. For some reason they thought closing with a Fugazi cover would be too obscure.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2012, 11:16:11 pm »

I'd mention I saw Bruce Springsteen on Sunday, but I don't want to get LFM started.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2012, 02:07:10 am »

Ah, I wouldn't go crazy about it.

I'd ask if you scored an autographed monocle off him, at most.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2012, 02:19:00 pm »

Tonight is The Budos Band & Charles Bradley and His Extraordinaries. I've never heard of the latter but hey, free tickets.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2012, 04:48:18 pm »

Then those would be extraordinarily free tix?

Indeed. They're ordinary in a completely superfluous way.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2012, 06:52:36 pm »

Tonight is The Budos Band & Charles Bradley and His Extraordinaries. I've never heard of the latter but hey, free tickets.

Turns out Budos Band isn't great live (they tend to jam) but Charles Bradley is pretty entertaining. Definitely had an Otis Redding or James Brown feel. At one point the band plays and instrumental song so he can go change his shirt then come back on stage and do more splits.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2012, 08:14:04 pm »

Turns out Budos Band isn't great live (they tend to jam)

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Upcoming shows
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2012, 09:11:08 pm »

It certainly can be a bad thing.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up