Until I was 14 I only liked Hootie and the Blowgiraffe and Alanis Morrisette. I actually kind of hated music. Then my dad played me a Bob Dylan record and I am over a decade in of being completely obsessed with almost all music. I also started smoking weed and cigarettes like mad within a month of hearing Bob Dylan only because of Bob Dylan, so, that ain't too good, but, yeah... I listened to (1962-1967) Bob Dylan almost constantly from ages 14-17, read Tarantula, etc., then Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Modest c*ck and Blur got me into current/rock. Now I can discuss everything from Herb Albert to The Tornadoes to Black Sabbath to Bad Religion and such, so, yeah, if it is meant to be it is meant to be, but before puberty isn't necessarily a deciding factor I would say.
This is almost exactly my experience down to the age I discovered Dylan, except it took me two years after that to starting smoking anything and I have always hated Hootie and Alanis (though I can't remember and don't care to look into how old I was when those guys were popular so maybe it's not fair to point that out). Before Dylan I was pretty obsessed with music. I loved Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens as far back as I can remember, and was really into "Oldies" growing up. To me this meant CCR, the Beatles, Motown, early Stones, and other similar stuff from the 60s. I also liked rap. And right before Dylan I was really into Hendrix and Led Zeppelin, and of course Nirvana, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam and all that. But after Dylan, it was over. For several years I had no room for anything but music. Not even sports, and barely any room for movies or reading.
Oh yeah, I introduced my dad to Dylan. That's kind of weird.