Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Achewood made $250,000 a year  (Read 9052 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

badwhite

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Achewood made $250,000 a year
« on: April 07, 2011, 06:17:42 pm »

Long-time TOUAMB lurker, new poster. I found this and wanted to share it with you.


Quote
When it comes to creating merchandise, says Onstad, 33, whose Silicon Valley-based webcomic earns around a quarter of a million dollars in annual sales and was named the No. 1 graphic novel of 2007 on Time.com, "I do what I feel like, and if it's in the Achewood sensibility, chances are it will connect with readers and stick as a product."



http://www.entrepreneur.com/magazine/entrepreneur/2008/september/196208.html

Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 06:24:00 pm »

Very interesting. Assuming he is a good saver, a few years of that would certainly explain why now he can take his time coming up with a new project.

And so much for our skills at internet-stalking - that article is from 2008 and none of us found it in all that time.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 06:30:34 pm »

Man, I would love to "do what I feel like" creatively and make even a quarter of that. Maybe there is hope for my niche market items as well.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 07:04:16 pm »

Sales or profits?

If he's only selling $250,000 worth of product he's netting a hell of a lot less than that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 07:29:39 pm »

Whether that's a net number OR a gross number...

I just don't get how the guy walked out the door so bitterly.

Did he just have so many Stanford/golf buddies who got out before the tech bubble burst as millionaires that his whole measure of success is fucked?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 08:26:31 pm »

If he's only selling $250,000 worth of product he's netting a hell of a lot less than that.

Well, OK. But still, if I sold $250,000 of product, I'd be beside myself with glee.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 08:47:32 pm »

Whether that's a net number OR a gross number...

I just don't get how the guy walked out the door so bitterly.
Um, because he's kind of a dick? I thought we established this already. You know how they say money doesn't buy happiness? It's actually true! I know, I was surprised too, but there it is.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 09:00:41 pm »

Um, because he's kind of a dick? I thought we established this already. You know how they say money doesn't buy happiness? It's actually true! I know, I was surprised too, but there it is.

I'm already happy.  I just want some money so I can party.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 10:15:35 pm »

I just don't get how the guy walked out the door so bitterly.
...You know how they say money doesn't buy happiness? It's actually true! I know, I was surprised too, but there it is.
I'm already happy.  I just want some money so I can party.
Cans all the way down on this one.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 10:43:48 pm »

I'm already happy.  I just want some money so I can party.

I invited you to my party. You should have been there. Open bar and everything.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 11:25:00 pm »

This podcast on the topic is pretty informative and interesting.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 12:27:48 am »

Oh, and by the way: welcome badwhite! Don't mind the stains.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 01:04:20 am »

I invited you to my party. You should have been there. Open bar and everything.

Well there you go.  If I had the money for a plane ticket I would have been there.  Portland is a hell of a town.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 02:28:23 am »

"Hey guys I made a quarter million doing internet stuff." No one knows what the fuck that means. You can make 250k while spending 300k or 225k. Is he counting jacket price of his book? Royalty? Making up a number that sounds good? what?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 03:30:52 am »

I'm already happy.  I just want some money so I can party.

Awesome. A can for you, dude.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up