Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood You are on the Night Train. Five Hours have passed. Axl Rose is in the gym car. It's not what you expected.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steak and Thick Bacon  (Read 5176 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 02:46:42 am »

A misplaced apostrophe on a message board is like a divining rod for finding English majors.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 02:51:01 am »

A misplaced apostrophe on a message board is like a divining rod for finding English majors.

I'm glad this is a place that I can safely be a pedantic douche-bag, so thanks to everyone for that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 03:11:28 am »

'SCRIPTIVIST!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 04:24:18 am »

im glad you's dont kick me out, even though i dont rite good.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 08:06:11 am »

'SCRIPTIVIST!

Actually, I don't really have a problem with ain't. I don't use it, but it's not a big deal to me. But the apostrophe/contraction thing . . . I don't know. I don't think of that as prescriptive vs. descriptive. That's like adding random yelps and clicks into your language and calling it all words.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 12:48:46 pm »

"Ain't" has the apostrophe where the o of "not" is missing. It's entirely consistent with the rule for apostrophes.

Also I really need more caffeine before I can spell apostrophe.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 04:37:33 pm »

seriously. did you seriously not see what i did there.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 04:47:43 pm »

seriously. did you seriously not see what i did there.
Well, I did, but I thought there was a bigger point.

And on the ain't with the apostrophe taking the place of the o, I'm cool with that. I'm just not sure what the ai part is.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 05:34:50 pm »

Am I Not, or, depending on context, Are It Not. 

So, technically, it should be a'i'n't. But then you have the problem of people saying, "ain't I," or "ain't it," which is then redundant.

It's best not to think too hard about "ain't."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 06:31:39 pm »

Am I Not, or, depending on context, Are It Not. 

So, technically, it should be a'i'n't. But then you have the problem of people saying, "ain't I," or "ain't it," which is then redundant.

It's best not to think too hard about "ain't."

Yeah, like that's an option.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 09:42:12 pm »

When I was a kid, I insisted that the proper construction was "amn't I," not, "aren't I." Because...well, "aren't" just doesn't make sense in the first person.

No sense at all.

This drove my parents nuts, but eventually, I turned eight and realized I might not know everything, after all.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 10:14:19 pm »

My sister did the same thing. I kind of loved it and was kind of sad when she stopped, even though we'd tease her.

Now her daughter says "me-mow" when she sees a cat, and I love that.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 10:48:30 pm »

When I was a kid, I insisted that the proper construction was "amn't I," not, "aren't I." Because...well, "aren't" just doesn't make sense in the first person.

No sense at all.

This drove my parents nuts, but eventually, I turned eight and realized I might not know everything, after all.

Early bloomer.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 06:38:54 pm »

Bacon Roses

Posted to Bobby's FB wall.  I HAVE SEEN EVERY BACON THING
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Steak and Thick Bacon
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 08:32:13 pm »

Ash's picture were pure agony to see on a Friday during Lent.  Also rough today when my lunch is PB&J's due to circumstances.

Unnecessary apostrophes in plural words is a particular peeve of mine.  Unfortunately one of the scripts I use in cheating enhancing Mafia Wars gameplay is loaded with them, so I get to see it daily.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up