Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Addicted to iTunes  (Read 6157 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 07:40:48 am »

Probably the philosophy is that if you got it for free and really loved it when the license or whatever expires you would be willing to spend money on it.

Well, and that's part of the stupidity. I can listen to it on my iPod all day, as well as on my home computer, but it's not "authorized" on this machine.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 05:39:13 pm »

Well, and that's part of the stupidity. I can listen to it on my iPod all day, as well as on my home computer, but it's not "authorized" on this machine.

Exactly.  And eventually those devices will stop working or become obsolete and you will be shit out of luck.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 02:34:15 am »

Exactly.  And eventually those devices will stop working or become obsolete and you will be shit out of luck.

And we're back where we started, and this is why I hate iTunes.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 02:53:41 am »

I don't understand the idea of ever paying for an mp3/m4a/whatever. I guess the guy who buys vinyl and almost never listens to it doesn't get to talk, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 04:12:17 am »

I don't understand the idea of ever paying for an mp3/m4a/whatever. I guess the guy who buys vinyl and almost never listens to it doesn't get to talk, though.

Are you saying you don't understand why one would pay for it of why you would want an mp3?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 04:27:57 am »

Why you would pay for it. Every story I have heard is along the lines of Nabu's.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 04:38:44 am »

I kind of feel fogeyish for not buying mp3s, but at this point I literally will not catch up on the music I currently have and am adding to my collection every day for free. I have probably 50 - 100 CDs at home I've never listened to, that I know I would like (given to me by friends, etc), to say nothing of the CDs I get from the library and the perhaps 50 individual songs I amass every week. Plus I like to have something more than the electronic version of a song - especially when S. Jobs decides I don't deserve to own it anymore (this is a simplification - there are many contributing factors such as the fucko or fuckos who have stolen two of my iPods).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 08:04:44 am »

Why you would pay for it. Every story I have heard is along the lines of Nabu's.

I guess you pay for it because otherwise it's stealing*. 

My story is nothing like Nabu's.  Well there are similarities, but... when I buy mp3s I buy them from amazon dot com drm free.  I don't have any problem playing my music.  I can use it wherever I please.  I specifically don't do business with iTunes because I know they are out to fuck me over.

*of course I'm a big hypocrite who has stolen a shitload of music. But I've also paid for way more than the average customer


Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 08:06:54 am »

Oh yeah - I don't get even free music from iTunes anymore. The free shit at amazon is less "fuck you" ish, and also actually better and more plentiful. Fuck those other guys.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 01:50:40 pm »

I am in the process of copying ALL my CDs to MP3.  Last night I tried to copy Kings of Leon's "Aha Shake Heartbreak," only to discover it has awful, draconian DRM on the disc, rendering it impossible to copy over.  SUCK.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 03:20:14 pm »

I've copied a lot, but I have other things that I want to do. My to do list is so fuck*ng long. And then there's the guitar and all - I just run out of time. My CDs and books are still out of order from before the basement remodel.

Also I am lazy.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 01:21:01 am »

Yeah, I only buy proper DRM-free mp3s and have been since I first discovered eMusic in '99. Inev, don't most records come with a code to download the album as mp3s anyway? So you did kind of buy them.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 06:01:09 am »

I mostly buy used records. But I am a big fan of the ones with download codes. It makes me feel a little bit better than downloading them illegally.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 06:27:29 am »

Can you give me some perspective on what the appeal of vinyl is to you in this day in age?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 06:38:43 am »

It looks cool. I like the ritual of having to set everything up and put the needle down and listen to the songs in order. With music on a computer, I am always tempted to switch tracks, switch albums, brose the internet, watch Youtube...

When I buy an old used record, I feel like in some way I am listening to this the way it "should be," even though I know that is completely silly.

Mostly, I download whatever music I want off the internet for free. When I buy new records, it is to give money to the band and have a cool big cover art... it's like real-life Cover Flow.

Actually, I don't buy that many records. I bought the most when I lived in Charlotte, where records are cheap. Looking back, it is insane to me that I bought re-prints of old records. What is the point of owning a modern pressing of a Velvet Underground record? Who knows.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up