Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Addicted to iTunes  (Read 6165 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 08:59:59 am »

I don't want to get too into it, and I don't come down on either side of the debate, but:

"This means that, by definition, a digital recording is not capturing the complete sound wave. It is approximating it with a series of steps. Some sounds that have very quick transitions, such as a drum beat or a trumpet's tone, will be distorted because they change too quickly for the sample rate.".

There are a billion other resources that say the same. YMMV, but some real dyed-in-the-wool audiophiles feel licorice pizza is the only way to go.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 04:32:18 pm »

I will admit to vinyl as one of my affectations.* I don't own a lot of it but I do like to listen to it occasionally. I'm more likely to buy the vinyl if it's an album I think I'll sit down and listen to rather just having it on. Though 99% of the time I have my main iTunes playlist on shuffle in the background.



*The other main one is wearing a watch.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 04:40:56 pm »

I'm thinking I may start buying records again. My wife has a bunch of old collectable punk stuff, but I gave all mine away a long time ago.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 04:49:30 pm »

I get what you are saying about really really listening to the music instead of it just being background noise.  For me, the times when I do my most concentrated listening are in the car or in bed.  Both of those are much better suited to digital music than an lp.  I do have an old record player and a bunch of 78s upstairs that belonged to my Aunt.  Every once in a blue moon I'll go up there and listen to old records
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 01:33:33 am »

When we had that party recently, after the bands played we spun records. It was pretty fun. We all got together and did the frug.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 02:38:43 am »

the frug.

dancers have the yummiest thighs [[drool]]
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 02:51:30 am »

Athletic thighs will get me every time.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 07:56:01 pm »

I have hell of vinyl, I guess for a few reasons.  First and foremost, those shits were really cheap in Oklahoma.  Original press T-Rex Electric Warrior for 7 dollars?  Yeah, I'll buy that.  In Denver it is more expensive for less cool records, so I don't usually buy them, but every time I go to a record store I still get like $40 worth of shit. 

The other reasons are, like, yeah, I have well over 200 gb of mp3's.  Those completely replace any need for cds or tapes.  Vinyls actually sound better and you get to own your absolute favorite albums in a way that is actually worthwhile to own them (kick ass art, etc.).
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Addicted to iTunes
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2011, 03:50:21 am »

And not to be a hipster but if you have an original pressing of Martha Splatterhead in your music room, people know you mean business. They know you are not soft.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up