Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)  (Read 5659 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« on: December 30, 2003, 01:28:45 pm »

I've been pretty decidedly ehh about the guest week strips thus far (I didn't want to be! honest! which is not to say that they have not been good and enjoyable but nothing particularly special you dig? yes), but this one was perfect. Which is weird, because as much as I like Wigu, I had no idea and / or doubts about how his style would play on this side of the street.

I GUESS THE SCHWAN'S MAN BROUGHT ME A BIG PARTY PLATTER OF TOLD YOU SO THIS MORNING
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 02:11:38 pm »

BWWAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhh!
Funniest strip, Achewood or otherwise, in a pig's age.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 05:19:45 pm »

I've never managed to get into Wigu. But the sheer fuck*ng quality of this strip makes me really want to be able to.
This one fuck*ng ruled!
Wow. Much as I loved the Drew Weing strip, this is the best guest week strip ever!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 05:32:07 pm »

See, I didn't get into this one so much.  I liked yesterday's better.  <Dodges flying objects.>  

Don't know why.  Just struck me as funnier, and closer to Onstad's style.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 05:43:12 pm »

"It's already ringing" made it several degrees of magnitude funnier. Nice to see Teador with a bit of his venom back.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 06:17:31 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Nice to see Teador with a bit of his venom back.


That strip makes Baby Jesus cry.  

As for today's, I'm always happy to see more Lyle.  Damn, has Lyle had that skull shirt since grade school?  I didn't start wearing black until high school.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 07:51:50 pm »

A.  That Gorilla has a rockin' unibrow.  Very expressive.

B.  Dig the way the Gorilla goes from a t-shirt with a bannana on it to a necklace with a nanner charm.

C.  That's exactly how I pictured Lyle's room as looking.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 08:28:11 pm »

It's all about the uni-brow.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

V-Adore

  • Guest
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 08:28:16 pm »

I think what I love best about this guest strip is how well it combines the sources involved; we've got the talents of J-Ro (surreality, drawing monkeys and apes) perfectly synched into the themes of Achewood (melancholy, character depth, being punched).

Either that, or I just like watching Lyle get punched by a gorilla.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 08:37:03 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

Either that, or I just like watching Lyle get punched by a gorilla.


I wish somebody would explain how you could NOT enjoy watching Lyle get punched by a gorilla.

That's what I wish.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 09:09:42 pm »

So was that the same gorilla the whole time?

Because he looked kinda sneaky and sinister while they were playing checkers together, but then I'm wondering, like, why the subterfuge?

I mean, why didn't he just walk up to Lyle, punch him, and take his wallet.  Why pretend to be friends first?

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 09:15:35 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

I mean, why didn't he just walk up to Lyle, punch him, and take his wallet.  Why pretend to be friends first?


I assumed it was like your analogy for the death of the old board - the gorilla and Lyle were friends, and they hung out, and they played checkers, but then when they got to junior school the gorilla met new people, and started hanging with the wrong kinds of people.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2003, 09:17:40 pm »

I interpreted it to be a long-term relationship.  At first, Lyle and the Grilla are wee pals.  Later, as they grow, Lyle's simian companion becomes more and more agressive.  Finally, when they have reached the vest/skull t-shirt wearing teen years the damn dirty ape goes all the way and punches Lyle before yoinking his wallet.  Lyle weeps -- not just at the honking shiner he knows he's just received, but also at losing his hairy, knuckle dragging friend.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

revdj

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dougshaw.com
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2003, 09:38:24 pm »

FWIW - this was my fave guest strip, ever, too!
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2003, 09:42:16 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Lyle weeps -- not just at the honking shiner he knows he's just received, but also at losing his hairy, knuckle dragging friend.


To say nothing of that classy personalized wallet.

Also seconding your comments as re Lyle's room: Onstad's style doesn't really have a lot of room for "grimy" (the relatively new artistic kick he's been on seems to focus on getting them out of the house, which if memory serves is pretty much a sparsely appointed white plastic Space House); here, though you could extrapolate like a thousand stories about why Lyle, at one point in time, punched / collided with the wall right next to the light switch, each one equally correct.

Little details, people.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up