Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Portal 2  (Read 7286 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 11:26:13 am »

when i hear "nosh" it makes me think of "munchin' on some grind-age", which leads to thoughts of pauly shore.  [[shudder]]
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 03:21:37 pm »

when i hear "nosh" it makes me think of "munchin' on some grind-age", which leads to thoughts of pauly shore.  [[shudder]]

Thanks a lot for that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 04:58:41 pm »

I'd rather hear snacking than one more precious summbitch refer to "sups and dins." That there is lead pipe dandy zone time.

People not on Parks & Rec say this?

Attention all women: it is not cute when you say "noms" "nomming" or any other variations. And even less so when you mean it sexually. Knock that shit off.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 05:20:43 pm »

Yea, there's a podcast I listen to where the ladyhost says "sammich" instead of sandwich.

Awful.


I've been playing through Portal 2 here and there.   The writing in this thing is just brilliant.   Also I didn't realize before hand that Stephen Merchant (Office UK, Extras, Idiot Abroad) does a bunch of voice acting in it, as does J.K. Simmons (Head Aryan from Oz, Yellow M&M, J.J. Jameson from the Spiderman movies).   The writing in this game is seriously brilliant.   

It goes in a pattern of, Puzzle, Funny Voiceover, Puzzle, Funny Voiceover...and so on.   So good.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 05:27:28 pm »

JK Simmons is also in those awesome Farmer's Insurance ads and Juno. He's pretty much awesome.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 05:36:04 pm »

Yea, there's a podcast I listen to where the ladyhost says "sammich" instead of sandwich.

Awful.


At least she doesn't say "sammy". 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 06:08:24 pm »

one of my friends talks a lot about Cucumber Sammys. I will allow this only from her.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 08:48:16 pm »

I will always respond to both "sammie" and "f-bomb" by saying "what the fuck is a [that]?" These things grate on me. But I encounter both very infrequently.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 10:14:04 pm »

Several people at work say "WTF" on a regular basis. I'm not ok with this.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 03:04:51 am »

Nosh means a blowie over here.

Also I intend to get Portal 2, the first one was fandabbydoozy.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 03:31:22 am »

Nosh means a blowie over here.

If blowie means what I think it means, that's fuck*ng awesome.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 04:32:39 am »

sex act vs. cartoon whale
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 04:40:22 am »

sex act vs. cartoon whale

I refuse to type "Fudgie the Whale" in Urban Dictionary
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 04:56:00 am »

Nosh means a blowie over here.

Also I intend to get Portal 2, the first one was fandabbydoozy.

I've been watching the UK version of Shameless.   I know what is happening because I watched the first season of US Shameless, but god DAMN I can hardly understand these folks.

I didn't feel bad when they got to the Xmas special, and the running joke was that the military couldn't understand them either.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 02:20:12 pm »

Holy fuck, you guys, I avoided this thread for weeks because I was afraid of spoilers, only to find that I missed a whole discussion on cutesy-ass language and the social acceptability thereof?!?!

Fuck you guys, seriously. In the ear hole.

I had never played Portal, until we got Portal 2 and Pedro convinced me to try co-op. I was so ashamed of how badly I sucked that I thought I should at least play the first few levels of the first one so I could learn the controls better, and then I got sucked into the story and now I'm halfway (??) through Portal 2.

I almost quit the first one for the reasons Cort mentioned. It is frustrating to know exactly what you're supposed to do but lack the hand-eye coordination to do it without retrying sixteen times in a row. I'm not a superstar gamer or anything, but I am definitely no greenhorn, and I had a lot of trouble getting things to line up right sometimes. The PC version was worse, though; playing 2 on the XBox is ten times easier. Also, 2 focuses more on the puzzles and less on getting the timing right, which is pleasant. More flying through the air at ridiculous speeds; less returning to previous save points. Win/win.

Nabu, if you like Fallout, you will like Portal. It is different, it feels more like candy, but it has a good story and more humor and the puzzles are not masquerading as side quests, they are honest-to-goodness spatial reasoning puzzles.

And it's hilarious. I LOL'd many times. And the voice acting is fantastic. I love to see games where they put a lot of thought into the graphics *and* the writing *and* the voice acting -- it's such a rare trifecta. But both Portal games have the hat trick.

Definitely play them in order. They are sort of short -- Google says about 4 hours for the first one, though I think it took me closer to five (split over 2 nights and one morning), and 2 is much longer -- I'm on my fourth hour or so and Pedro says I'm not quite half done. (But he might be lying.) Still, worth a play-through, especially if you already have the first one sitting around.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up