Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )  (Read 2823 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
« on: December 31, 2003, 05:59:42 am »

I almost started getting misty when I finished this.  Almost, hell, I did.  That was amazing.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 06:04:32 am »

It was like two weeks of Achewood in one strip.  Awesome until the cheesy it's only a dream ending.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 01:43:53 pm »

I even like the cheesy only a dream ending, given the look of sheer terror it leaves on Philippe's face.
It's like he's never going to sleep again, not knowing what to do with this information. If he sleeps, then maybe he'll dream there and get stuck in another level of dream or something!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 01:45:21 pm »

I wonder who wrote Sex Funeral on the wall.

I now have to find an Exxon/Circle K that actually says "Nachos Yes!" in the window.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 02:18:20 pm »

I liked the strip, good story, good art.  I wondered about the characterization -- I thought Phillippe and LN were reversed, but that's not a biggie.

But what's up with a guest artist coming in and messing with meta-Achewood.  Essentially what this strip says is that everything that's happened up til now is all a dream.  I'm fuming, wringing my hands and typing furiously here!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 02:47:23 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"


But what's up with a guest artist coming in and messing with meta-Achewood.  Essentially what this strip says is that everything that's happened up til now is all a dream.  


I was hating it till I got to that part.  Now my mind is so messed with. Very cool.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 04:25:07 pm »

I don't take guest strips to be canonical.  I mean, did they really drop Philippe from a plane?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

V-Adore

  • Guest
A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 11:46:31 pm »

See, I think it's the dream ending that makes it. The punchline is that implication that everything thus far was just a dream -- although the Billy Idol poster and the "special boy" guitar implies otherwise -- and Philippe's immense and justifiable existential dread.

I was also reminded of the "Simpsons" episode where Homer attempts to comfort Bart about death: "it's okay, death happens all the time! Why, you could die tomorrow! Well, goodnight."
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2004, 04:29:38 am »

There there, Shut up boy.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 05:39:17 am »

existential comedy makes me tired usually, but kthor has the zen thing down. the man definitely gets the achewood vibe, and this comic is proof. I like the way he picks up on achewood's 'reality', and pronounces it without breaking form from onstad's structure. or lack thereof.
Logged
[expletive deleted]
Pages: [1]   Go Up