Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lord Stanley's Cup  (Read 9796 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Lord Stanley's Cup
« on: May 01, 2011, 09:41:15 pm »

Look, i know nobody cares about hockey but goddamn it after the Wings swept the Coyotes I thought they'd put up a bit of a series against the hated Sharks. California shouldn't even have a hockey team (sorry, Ash).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:43:12 pm »

I give a shit about hockey, but right now the Caps are down 2-0 and I am upset.  It could be worse, it could have been the Penguins.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 04:44:49 pm »

I most definitely give a shit about hockey, though I don't follow it as closely as I would like to. I am a Detroit fan since small times and Carolina is of course my home team. I am starting to prefer Carolina to Detroit, honestly, because their club does a lot of things that directly and favorably impact my family, like support (financially and through in-kind donations) the special-needs hockey club my son plays with.

Regardless, WTF, Detroit? Don't let those San Jose motherfuckers push you around. Not now. Not ever.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:02:58 pm »

Yeah, they beat us in six last year but I figured since our old guys got more rest going into the series this year it wouldn't be a problem.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 04:38:27 am »

Well, the Wings get to stumble into a new day.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 05:03:26 pm »

Ok, that didn't work, but I did get to watch the game with Grant Jennings (he gets the worst of it here). Here he is getting a couple good shots in on Tie Domi. He was undrafted, but he did get his name on the Cup twice with the Penguins.

Now I don't have to be quite so jealous of Ash.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 06:16:55 pm »

*weeps*
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 06:21:54 pm »

Apologies to Nabu, but I was totally behind the Sharks last night.  The Red Wings are, for the last 10-15 years at least, more or less the New York Yankees of hockey.  And therefore, anytime they come up short is OK by me.  Furthermore, as a Caps fan, I know a thing or two about teams that are great in the regular season but crumble in the playoffs, so I sympathize with the Sharks' fan base.

Now that that's done, with the Caps and Flyers both out, the next logical step is to root for any remaining Canadian teams.  So, go Canucks!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 10:09:15 pm »

I'm officially backing the Lightning. Why you ask (ah, you didn't, but this is my post so fuck ya)? My boss at work, his nephew is Nate Thompson, local Alaskan kid made good. I talked to him as I left yesterday and we were talking about the deal where the guys get possession of the Cup for a day, to show it around, and I suggested that if the Lightning wins he ought to have his nephew bring the Cup to Prudhoe, since no one else will ever do that. He's on board, and I think he's got the stroke to have BP do it. They did recently bring the winner of the Iditarod up, so maybe there's a precedent. So fuck yeah I'm pulling for the Lightning. If it all goes this way and he comes up when I'm home I'm going to kill everyone involved.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 01:49:53 am »

Gotta back the cities where actual hockey is played.

San Jose and Tampa wouldn't know a puck from a cowpie except that some rich local wanted the cache of owning a major sports team.

Vancouver and Boston seem to have their hockey bonafides more or less in order.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 09:15:51 pm »

Well, that's why I spent some time up there explaining why I would be backing an expansion team, when I am a knee-jerk anti-expansion kind of guy (funny since my NFL team is an expansion team).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 10:21:31 pm »

I know that I am just a guy who doesn't "get" sports, but, I mean... it's not like the Bruins are a team of guys who all grew up in Boston.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 12:17:04 am »

I know that I am just a guy who doesn't "get" sports, but, I mean... it's not like the Bruins are a team of guys who all grew up in Boston.

can
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 02:00:30 am »

It's said that "these days, you root for the laundry," but for years and years and years I rooted for Detroit because of Scotty Bowman (the coach).

Also, I do pull for the Hurricanes because, as I mentioned above, none of them are "from" here, but they all live here now and are a part of the community, doing a lot of charity work and donating stuff to be auctioned off for various nonprofits all the time. The whole community benefits from them being here, not just a few rich people who "own" them, because the team personality is very community-oriented and charitable. (I credit the coaching staff with that.) Lots of public appearances, lots of opportunities for fans to meet the team and get things signed, etc.

They're just nice. That makes me want them to win.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 05:09:31 am »

I know that I am just a guy who doesn't "get" sports, but, I mean... it's not like the Bruins are a team of guys who all grew up in Boston.

And they never were. But for fans, they do represent the locale.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up