Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairy Tales  (Read 595 times)

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
    • View Profile
Fairy Tales
« on: May 25, 2011, 04:51:07 pm »

Having kids naturally brings fairy tales into a prominent position in my life, and I've been thinking back to grad school and the Aarne-Thompson classification system, archetypes, Jungian theories of collective unconscious, et cetera. Has anybody done any reading on this particular facet of literature? Any recommendations on where to start?

I know that Marie-Louise von Franz was a student of Jung's and generally considered to be awesome, but I am actually interested in starting more from the AT classification angle, because I am fascinated by the similarities and differences in tales of the same type across various regions and cultures. I think it's amazing how many of the stories we know and love seem to reflect something universal that shows up over and over again in the literary traditions of civilizations that had no contact with one another. I don't know how to Google that, though.

I'm looking particularly for a good resource that's available on audio book, but I'll take a dead-tree version if I have to.
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1]   Go Up