I just made up a couple of gallons of sweet sun tea, which is fabulous. This is also the time of year when I start to crave my mom's weird recipe pasta salad, which goes like this:
Pasta Salad
1 lb provolone cheese, cut into 1" cubes
1 lb hard salami, cut into 1" cubes
1 lb tricolor rotini, cooked
1 recipe Good Seasons Italian Dressing (the kind that comes in a packet and you add your own oil, vinegar and water)
Serves: a small army
Mix it all together in a gigantic bowl and stick it in the fridge overnight to let the flavors blend. Mom also adds canned, drained black olives sometimes, but I don't care for them so I serve them on the side. It's wonderful, and since the dressing isn't dairy-based, it's great for picnics where you can't rely on the things in the cooler to stay as cold as you'd like.
I always make some for the 4th of July, as did my mother before me. The 4th is a huge holiday for me. I love fireworks and I never ever missed a year seeing them with my mother (who also loves them) until after I had been married several years.
We go out early (about 5ish) and park near the fairgrounds where we can see the fireworks from our parking spot. Then we spread out a blanket and set up some lawn chairs and tailgate out of the back of our minivan. We eat fried chicken or pulled pork and pasta salad, usually we have fresh fruit and potato chips and a cooler full of soda and sweet tea. We walk over to the fairgrounds and enjoy the carnival they have each year, Boyface loves the Taiko drumming demos and Girlface usually does one of the kid's crafts. Then we come back to our car and do sparklers, play games on the picnic blanket, listen to music, and generally run around outside and have a great time.
By the time the fireworks start, we've been there 4 hours, and the light show is just the icing on the cake.
Some contingent of my in-laws usually join us; my parents are usually in Ohio but this year they'll be here. The first year we did this, about 3 years ago, my parents-in-law thought I was nuts for wanting to go so early; now they've been a few times and they look forward to it and have adopted it as their own tradition, too.