Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The next time you appreciate how nice large titties look, be happy and smile to yourself. You deserve it.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Not dead yet  (Read 16041 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2011, 04:56:28 am »

'Stad needs some dead white guys to sing him a greek chorus of motivation.

Send him enough Washington, Lincoln, Jackson, Hamilton and Franklins to sing it loud and strong.
A chorus of cans for my friends.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2011, 03:44:50 pm »

How much does hosting cost anyway?  Jesus X. Christ!  How do all those other webcomics manage to stay on the internet without groveling like a mediocre NPR station?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2011, 07:22:30 pm »

How much does hosting cost anyway?

It depends on how much bandwith you use.  When Onstad is delivering product I imagine his bandwith usage is pretty high.  Right now I wouldn't think it would be extraordinarily high.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2011, 06:40:24 am »

Unless something momentous happens in the last few days of this month, July 2011 will been the quietest month in TOUAMB's history.

We appear to be over our July slump, but we still aren't as active as we used to be when we had a comic to talk about.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2011, 06:57:54 am »

It's almost weird to even think about it, you know.

We used to have, like, every other day, something external to all of our personal lives and peccadilloes that spurred conversation, that created regular patterns of attendance, etc.

It almost sounds CRAZY.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2011, 07:53:40 pm »

The cost for bandwidth is always going down. I suppose you may pay more for a guaranteed level of uptime, etc.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2011, 04:43:45 pm »

I think some of the GOF strips brought enough traffic to crash the server, particularly when 'Stad would promise an update at a certain time and we all hell of refreshed browsers waiting to see that day's gift of fighting cats.

You gotta hand over some monies if you want to keep your flow, uh, flowin'.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2011, 07:43:56 pm »

I think some of the GOF strips brought enough traffic to crash the server, particularly when 'Stad would promise an update at a certain time and we all hell of refreshed browsers waiting to see that day's gift of fighting cats.

Those were different times, my friend.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2011, 01:10:41 am »

I've done my part. I just bought his most recent book. I'm going to be in Portland very briefly this weekend, so if he wants to provide some... services, say, for more of my money, maybe then we can talk.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2011, 04:14:48 am »

The most services possible?
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2011, 06:04:10 am »

All of the services.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2011, 06:00:19 pm »

Well now we won't even get to talk about whether we should be paying for the premium site anymore.

Quote
Assetbar is closing its doors January 1, 2012

We built Fanflows so creators and artists could have an easy way to pursue their craft and make a premium connection with their fans.

It didn't work

So, as of January 1, 2012, Assetbar and all Fanflows will be gone.
How this is going to go down

    Effectively immediately we will no longer be accepting new funds deposits.
    Other than adding new funds, you may continue to use Assetbar for the rest of the year, but...
    On December 30, 2011 at 11:59PM PST, we pull the plug on the servers.

Actions you can take

    Withdraw your remaining funds
    Donate the remainder of your balance to Chris Onstad
    Continue to browse your Premium Content until January 1, 2012
    Follow Achewood on Twitter
Thanks!

It has been fun. Mostly.

Peace out,
The Assetbar Team
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2011, 06:44:29 pm »

The off-chance that this forces Onstad to put out maybe-not-perfect-but-fuck*ng-good strips to fuel merch sales again, that or go back to a normal people job which I don't think even Onstad is crazy enough to want to do, could make this the best news to hit this site about Achewood, like, ever.

Hopefully. I'm trying this hope thing lately even though it seems to work even less for me than bitter self-loathing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2011, 06:51:52 pm »

I wonder if Achewood going into a death-spiral precipitated Assetbar doing the same. Was Achewood that big a percentage of the Assetbar business. Who knows.

He was most of their business for most of the time, I think. They never seemed to have more than a few other clients. I would only see the other possibilities when I renewed my subscription so I don't remember what they were, but there never seemed to be a ton of stuff. Toothpaste for Dinner used them for a little while and I really liked what they were doing, but they left the site in a big huff.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2011, 09:31:33 pm »

Onstad sucks at business.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up