Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Not dead yet  (Read 16045 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2011, 11:43:54 pm »

wait, so achewood will be gone from the internet?  or just assetbar?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2011, 11:52:42 pm »

Just assetbar... so far.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2011, 12:34:49 am »

I wonder what'll happen to all the "premium content"...

Will he try to shift it over to some other iteration of the floundering subscription/micropayments model or do you think he'll just dump it all on the main site or what?

If he's actually serious about getting the strip rolling again, it wouldn't be the worst way to jumpstart the merch-sales model that seemed to make the guy good bank at the strip's height to have a big archive binge of that stuff to gruffle through. Or to as a mechanism to a relaunch with some ads and, again, draw people back in for that model.

I just don't think that the subscription/micropayment model was ever gonna work for most web comics or could ever on a long term basis.

It's too quick a read, any given day of a strip, and we're too mentally programmed to think of the medium as a throw-in to a newspaer still.

Maybe if there was someday one mostly-unified central iTunes/Netflix clearing house of web comics, I guess it could be beaten into working, but that's a ways off if it's ever gonna be possible.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2011, 12:40:57 am »

I'm guessing this connects somehow to "girding the new generation of Achewood." Which means I can still hope that's actually going to happen someday till January when Assetbar shuts down.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2011, 03:53:18 am »

Maybe if there was someday one mostly-unified central iTunes/Netflix clearing house of web comics, I guess it could be beaten into working, but that's a ways off if it's ever gonna be possible.

I think this has some merit for the future.  The biggest obstacle that I see is most creator artist will see it as a new "syndicate" which, in essence it is, but it makes sense to me to put your work where it is most likely to be seen. 

We'll probably have to wait until print newspapers totally collapse before this actually comes to pass though.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2011, 10:27:14 pm »

Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2011, 12:05:07 am »

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2011, 02:45:48 am »

I wonder if that's accurate.

Achewood was executory for roughly 9 years.  To be published daily, let's say that means weekdays, so 5 strips a week times 50 weeks a year times 9 years equals 2250 strips.  Are there really that many?  Or are they counting every blog post/Ray's place etc he posted?  Not to say that the ancillary material isn't worth counting, but is it the same as a strip? 

Interesting.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2011, 03:04:49 am »

I was thinking it was interesting he's right in there with everyone else. I mean, DS . . . . well, I'd rather read one Achewood a week than 5 DS like clockwork (not that it's bad, it just doesn't grab me the same way).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2011, 04:12:10 am »

I was thinking it was interesting he's right in there with everyone else. I mean, DS . . . . well, I'd rather read one Achewood a week than 5 DS like clockwork (not that it's bad, it just doesn't grab me the same way).

RStevens did mention this seems to ignore the time when he was doing 12 strips a week
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2011, 04:37:11 am »

They must be counting everything.  There's no way that's accurate otherwise.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2011, 12:44:29 pm »

If only we had someone with exceptional research skills who could give us the full scoop...

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2011, 02:24:48 pm »

If only we had someone with exceptional research skills who could give us the full scoop...



You mean somebody who wants to take the time to count how many strips there are?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2011, 03:11:32 pm »

There's gotta be an easier way than that. Some way that they're numbered in serial that isn't immediately obvious to mere mortals.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2011, 04:35:26 pm »

Looking quickly at achewood.com/list.php I count 1673 items. Now this counts anything he posted including non-strips like the preview of Beef's zine and such.

(I pasted the page into Excel, deleted the month headings, and looked at how many rows there are)
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up