Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not dead yet  (Read 16040 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2011, 10:04:34 pm »

I knew Cort could do it.

In case you're wondering what that yellow blob on a black background was, it was the Bat-Cort Signal. I only had a thumbnail avatar to work with, so it's hard to recognize. 50 internet points to anyone who feels like doing a better job.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2011, 01:29:34 am »

Gee, now if somebody would go count all the blog posts...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2011, 02:16:21 am »

Gee, now if somebody would go count all the blog posts...

That same hypothetical person should also count the premium content.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2011, 12:33:49 pm »

that person would do better to get a life.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2011, 12:47:05 pm »

Gee, now if somebody would go count all the blog posts...

That's true - the blog posts are gold.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2011, 09:15:51 am »

He's been... girding loins for a while, huh?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2011, 10:49:53 am »

He's been... girding loins for a while, huh?

Gird the Fuck out of 'em, Chris!

Note: Non-canonical reference. Apologies.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2011, 03:17:59 pm »

I just had an image of Onstad in an open bathrobe, in the dark, looking at a his monitor, at this very page, saying to himself "It's been ten months! How can TOUAMB still be a thing!"

In reverse, I hope he's actually out there in the world somewhere, taking pleasure in life, maybe working at a nice, community based place that supports foodies in some way.  If I could write my own ending for Onstad, I'd like him to be genuinely happy.  Really, the best reason to walk away from one's art is that one no longer needs it anymore.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2011, 04:49:02 pm »

Really, the best reason to walk away from one's art is that one no longer needs it anymore.

This. I think the thing that's most frustrating about the whole ending is that...we don't know. We all hope he's off somewhere doing something that makes him happy, but the way he left things...that seems like too much to hope for. I wish him well, but I fear that his abandonment of the strip (and related) signals, not joy and creative outlet found elsewhere, but a descent into depression and an inability to function creatively on any level.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2011, 05:15:07 pm »

This is the downside of the whole connecting with the creator thing that the Internet has made possible. Life is complicated enough without me having to worry if Chris Onstad is OK.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2011, 06:02:09 pm »

I think that we definitely need a youtube video of you singing that song.  Then, when we know the melody we can all make one.  The Viral Chris Onstad is a Wussy video pledge drive.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2011, 06:28:14 pm »

It's clearly the William Tell Overture, Paul.

Obviously.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2011, 07:11:25 pm »

We're still gonna want to see that video.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2011, 01:00:45 am »

See, I imagined it to the tune of that 1980s song "Goody Two-Shoes".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Not dead yet
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2011, 04:28:52 am »

This is the downside of the whole connecting with the creator thing that the Internet has made possible. Life is complicated enough without me having to worry if Chris Onstad is OK.

I think a variety of this was the first thing I ever posted on Dumbrella.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up