Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The best place I've never been.  (Read 24359 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The best place I've never been.
« on: June 11, 2011, 11:54:28 pm »

I'm interested in traveling somewhere for a week on my own this summer (or possibly with a lady friend who may or may not join me) and looking for suggestions.

I'm feeling pretty adventurous about thisand considering going for a week to Cairo.  I know some people would say such an idea is ill advised due to recent political upheaval, but I'm fairly fearless about travel and have heard now is a good time to go due to reduced tourist numbers.  What makes it attractive is that there are so many things to do that traveling alone wouldn't be boring or too lonely.

Due to my husband's injury he is about to go back to work and will likely be unable to book time off for a while, while I have vacation time piling up and plenty of money saved up.  I have a writer friend who may be interested in joining me, but her finances are very limited so I'm thinking a solo trip is the most likely to work out.

I have a budget of around $2000 for flight + hotel and am open to other suggestions. 

There are some places I wont go, specifically because the husband and I have them on a bucket list to see together: London, anywhere in India, anywhere in Italy, Hong Kong, Paris and Ireland.  There are places I won't go because I've already been there: Belgium, Havana/Varadero, Jakarta, Bali, Cancun/the Mayan Riviera of Mexico, Toronto, Banff, anywhere in Saskatchewan, North or South Dakota or Alabama.

The only other consideration is that my arthritis has been really bad lately, so although I've always wanted to see Machu Pichu (and the husband is not particularly interested), such intense hiking/camping (without the help of a travel companion) is out of the question these days.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:42:26 am »

Japan!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 01:56:54 am »

Boise
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 01:58:49 am »

There are hardly any places in Japan where you will get irradiated, and I believe that because people are afraid anyway, you could get good deals at hotels.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 02:27:47 am »

But really, I saw all these shows that talked about half-empty hotels, and since I am obviously not going to get off my ass and take advantage of it, someone should. And hey, support the economy over there and such.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 03:06:35 am »

I have no useful suggestion but wanted to say Cairo might seem cool because of reduced numbers but last I heard (which was a few weeks ago, admittedly) there's also reduced access to the big tourism stuff either because it's under crazy lock down to protect it or because the people who usually work there are busy fighting each other. So I'd double check that first.

The idea of being able to fly to europe plus get a hotel for 2 grand is crazy to me. Is it nice living in the equator where everything is near everything else.

Actually I do have a suggestion: How about China? Lots of cool stuff to see and relatively cheap. Even if you just spent a week in Beijing I think you'd have plenty to fill your time.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 04:02:38 am »

I'd say check into what Doc says and go to Cairo if it's not closed down.  That's a beautiful historical place to visit AND they are making history now that you can witness.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 10:48:26 am »

I have always wanted to go to Buenos Aries, but yeah, your mileage may vary I think they say
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 01:34:07 pm »

I have long wanted to go to Scotland, not just to see the land of my ancestors, and to have a beer in the Glencoe Pub while claiming a false last name, but to go to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.  It's in August.  http://www.edfringe.com/
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 01:40:31 pm »

I have long wanted to go to Scotland, not just to see the land of my ancestors, and to have a beer in the Glencoe Pub while claiming a false last name, but to go to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.  It's in August.  http://www.edfringe.com/

Oh hells yes, this is also an awesome thing to do.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 09:09:18 pm »

I have always wanted to go to Buenos Aries, but yeah, your mileage may vary I think they say

Pedro has been there -- it's where his mother was born. (She grew up in Mendoza, though.) His trip was mainly visiting family, so he didn't do any of the touristy stuff. I wanted to go while his grandparents were alive, but at the time, there was a lot of political unrest and they advised us not to go. By the time the situation improved, they had passed on.

He still has lots of cousins and aunts and uncles there, so maybe we'll still go someday. Not 'til the kids are much, much older, though.

Smells, this is a great idea, you should definitely do it before you start trying to make a baby. Not traveling before I had kids is one of my few regrets.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 08:28:47 pm »

Villa Park.
Yes, I think that she should go to Villa Park, IL and see some strip malls. Roosevelt Road will make you grin!
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 09:41:24 pm »

Boise

I used to live there and I really, really liked it. I would move back there if PDX didn't work for me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 09:43:33 pm »

You've been a lot of places. I would suggest SE Alaska because I really like it, but $2k (even $2k CAN) might be a little tight.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 09:14:11 pm »

If you like to eat food and look at oceans, go to Spain.  I'd land in Barcelona and spend a few days there, take a train to San Sebastian for a few days, then return to Barcelona.  Or go to Sevilla and make time for a side trip to the Alhambra.  Lots of narrow, medieval-feeling streets to confound and amaze you, and a tapas bar at every turn.

Ireland is also awesome.  I'm particularly fond of Galway and Kilkenny.

Does the $US go further in Egypt than it does against the Euro?  That's the only problem with Ireland or Spain - ol' greenbacks aren't worth what they used to be.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up