So, Japan is fantastic on so many levels. Today we hit up the Maidreamin' maid cafe I mentioned elsewhere, which was... odd and worthwhile in a weird sort of way. We also found our way to a couple old-school arcades and played a few games. Hubby won me a fantastic plastic dead frog flash light in a claw game.
Later, we decided to check out Harajuku on a whim since the expected storm hadn't yet arrived. The typhoon had been downgraded to a tropical storm and was expected at around 4pm instead of 1pm. We were in the crush of shoppers in Takeshita Street in Harajuku, and it was super crowded.
Here is a shot I took as we entered the street:

So it was wall to wall people, but everyone is just fantastically polite. There was no pushing or shoving, and only the slightest, most minimal amount of brushing up against when absolutely necessary. Just hoards and hoards of people. Then suddenly some folks with whistles came and had everyone clear to the sides and
this happened. You'll have to forgive the shitty video. We were so taken by surprise that I whipped out my phone without much thought to capture it. What were we seeing? I still have no idea. There were a lot of bare-ish bums, and lots of happy chanting. The people watching seemed mostly unimpressed, but I thought it was beautiful how joyful they all were.
After that we headed back for the hotel because it was getting overcast and the "tropical storm" was clearly approaching by the look of the clouds, but we got drawn off our route back when I heard some Rockabilly music and had to check it out. Needless to say,
it was worth the minor detour to see these folks in action. I could have watched them all day, but it was clearly going to storm and both hubby and I had reached our limit for novelty and new experiences for the day, so we headed back to the hotel and got caught in a downpour. Totally drenched, hubby is napping, and I need to put my feet up so bad. Our pattern seems to be: go out and take in a whole bunch, head to hotel for rest, head out again, get a good sleep and do it again. It has been beyond fantastic so far.