Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The best place I've never been.  (Read 24326 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2012, 08:18:57 am »

I love Tokyo in the rain.  Had a great day out and about in the rain, checking out Meiji temple, shopping and just really digging it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2012, 02:56:27 pm »

That's a lot of fuck*ng people.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2012, 11:46:18 am »

The thing is, having crossed through the crossing everyday for a week now, there have been times when it is far busier.  What I've observed, is how little actual physical contact there is.  People go to effort to give each other space and move in a manner that doesn't cause inconvenience.  I've been in situations in my home community with far less people that I had considered "crowded" where shoving, bumping into and otherwise just not working in a way that is considerate of others is the norm. 

I first noticed it when we landed.  Off the huge plane of 300 passengers or so, when we got to the luggage claim, I thought "oh great, here we go."  But no, not a single person bumped or shoved me.  Then again, the first time at the crossing I thought "this is going to be unpleasant," but again, no shoving, not even the slightest brushing against.  And again, on a crowded train full of way more people that I've ever shared public transport with, nothing, just complete consideration.  Anyone with a backpack switched it to be worn on the front to assure they didn't smack anyone, the phones are off, no one is eating anything...  I'm really, really going to miss this when I go back home.

One story I've got to share is the really difficult situation we had today with the train.  I won't get into all the details of traveling to Kawagoe, but to summarize:  we were told by the lady at the rail's tourism booth that we would only need to take one train, for 60 minutes, but it basically took three trains, a lot of doubling back and over two hours to get there.   Needless to say on the return I was on edge, and hubby doesn't like to ask for help, so it was on me.  We got the train, clearly labelled, that was to take us back.  Then it stopped, almost all the passengers got off, and I got nervous.  Hubby felt certain that since the sign said it was going to take us to our destination, that must be so, but there's plenty of over-the-intercom announcements in Japanese that make me doubt this.  So we're sitting there, and the train is not moving, and I think it can't hurt to ask.  I see a guy of around 50 with his wife, chatting with what looks like his dad.  I had previously smiled at his dad because I thought it was pretty cool to se a guy in his 70's using an iPod.  "Shibuya?" I ask, pointing at the floor of the train we're on.  To my shock (and this is rare) he replies in English.  "Shibuya?  Yes, today it's okay.  Today it go to Shibuya."  The stress he puts on "today" is a little worrisome.  "Stay?"  I ask.  "Yes, you can sit down."  So we sit down, but then it's clear that the man, his wife and and his father are debating this and are concerned.  They ask another passenger who responds in a detached, minimal sort of way.  Something about varying schedules.  They're clearly doubtful.  I get up.  He gets up.  "You wait here" he says, and he runs from the train.  He runs one way, and then his dad gets off and runs the opposite way.  His wife, who is wearing a medical mask, has worried eyes.  His dad gets back, but him and his son's wife are now stressed out.  The guy runs back, "other train, you need to come" he says in an urgent tone.  All of us, including his wife and dad run.  We run what is about a block, in silence, with hand gestures, down a flight of stairs, up a flight of stairs, down another, to a train that is waiting.  It then becomes clear the guy who is helping us has asked this train to wait for us.  He escorts hubby and I and tells us this is the train we need and that we may sit, his wife and dad appear and are seated too.  He has a fairly emphatic argument with the conductor (again, from my limited experience, it seems really rare behavior to see someone have an outburst in Japan on a train), he comes over and gently assures us that this train will take us to our stop, and shows us on a map that we are nine stops away from our destination.  I thank him effusively.  I can't thank him enough.  I say it in English then in my limited Japanese.  We were so far away from where we need to be, the epitome of lost, and he's the only reason we're not still there now.  He sits with his family at the opposite end of the train from us, and at a later point he goes over to the conductor at another stop and is apologizing to him.  I smile and nod,  he nods back.  Shortly after, without any indication, I notice he and his wife and dad are gone.  I'm pretty sure the whole family changed trains for us, that they took the extra excursion on the extra train to assure that we would find our way.  What kindness.  I'm humbled because I know he went far beyond the call to help us, some wayward foreigners, to be 100% certain we were (quite literally) on the right track. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2012, 01:36:42 pm »

There was an epsiode where I walked 20 minutes straight uphill into the middle of nowhere in 95 degrees and 100% humidity because I'd walked right past the museum I was looking for. I finally stopped a man on a bicycle. Since I didn't seem to be understanding him, he took out a piece of paper and wrote a map. He seemed concerned that I still didn't seem to be understanding him even with the map, but it was because I couldn't believe I had walked right past the place. Finally I turned around and headed back down the hill and he rode off.

Fifteen minutes later I was back on the main road in front of the museum, finishing my drink, and from around the other corner comes the man on the bicycle, waving and pointing at the museum to make sure I didn't walk past it like an idiot again. Like your story, this was the worst moment of my trip and he went out of his way to make sure he'd saved me from it.

Sometimes actually I was a little hesistant to ask for directions, because people were so likely to walk you all the way there even if they hadn't seemed to be headed that way.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2012, 02:40:06 pm »

You know who really loves to give directions? New Yorkers. Ask a New Yorker how to get somewhere on the subway and you'll probably find yourself in the middle of a bunch of people arguing about it, because everyone thinks they know the best way to go there.

I suspect Japanese might spend a lot of time giving directions to other Japanese as well, because their bizarre system of street addresses means that having an address isn't much help in actually finding a place. Although these days I suppose they can use their smartphones to help.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2012, 05:56:39 pm »

My old roomie who is from Brooklyn said he hated being asked for directions, because for some reason he would always freeze up and end up telling them to go the wrong way.

I don't know if I have ever been somewhere so crowded that there was pushing and shoving. One time in Paris I couldn't get off the train because it was so crowded that noone could move. At the next stop I kind of lunged in between people until I got off, so I guess I was the shover in that situation. Got dirty looks as if I should have magically teleported through them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2012, 06:03:36 pm »

I suspect Japanese might spend a lot of time giving directions to other Japanese as well, because their bizarre system of street addresses means that having an address isn't much help in actually finding a place.

This. THIS.   I love how walk-able most things are here in Tokyo, but knowing something is in the genereal vicinity of a certain train station is often not enough. I've had a couple experiences where I've had the address and been unable to find the place despite it, even with help from locals and no, a smart phone, or atleast me using Google Maps in English often isn't enough.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2012, 07:00:12 pm »

I don't know if I have ever been somewhere so crowded that there was pushing and shoving. One time in Paris I couldn't get off the train because it was so crowded that noone could move. At the next stop I kind of lunged in between people until I got off, so I guess I was the shover in that situation. Got dirty looks as if I should have magically teleported through them.

I was once on a commuter train in Houston and it was so crowded I could hardly breathe.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2012, 10:09:51 pm »

I heard somewhere that the street numbers in Tokyo were given out chronologically.  No idea whether that is true.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2012, 11:05:52 pm »

I believe it used to be done like that but maybe not anymore. In any case there are definitely not consecutive house numbers, and while the big streets have names, the street name is not part of an address.

Ha - here's a helpful description: "With the exception of major roads, Japanese streets are not named. Instead, cities and towns are subdivided into areas, subareas and blocks, similar to the insulae system of the Roman empire."

And this link has a chart that is equally "helpful."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2012, 12:19:51 pm »

So I went to Osaka and Kyoto for the weekend. Osaka Castle was the highlight, that place is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Also: Airbnb - not a bad idea
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2012, 03:41:35 pm »

Oh, I didn't know they included Japan, that is great to know.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2013, 02:54:56 pm »

This is a travel-related post, and a travel-related thread, so let's zombie-fy it.

I have a minor ethical dilemma, and y'all are usually pretty good at helping me resolve those.

You're familiar with hotel loyalty point programs, right? I've been saving my Hilton points for something like five years, in the hopes of blowing them all at once on a big trip. Specifically, Disney Freaking World. The trip I had in mind required 180,000 points, so I save them up and finally got there about a month ago. But when I go to book the room, I learned that Hilton has all kinds of devalued their points program, and the stay I want will actually run 240,000 points, and oh shit so much for that idea.

HOWEVER. They do have a handicapped-accessible room available, for significantly fewer points--only 150K, less than I thought in the first place. And when we arrive we could say "We don't actually need the handicapped room, you can put us wherever." Of course, if I book that room I might be keeping it from some one who might actually need it.

So. Dick move? Or just doing what I have to do to take my family to see the penis?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2013, 03:41:42 pm »

Holyshit is that a gift what keeps giving.

Oh sweet merciful crap.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The best place I've never been.
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2013, 04:24:50 pm »

I was half listening to a radio show yesterday about how you get totally different deals on hotel through their websites and if you call them on the phone. I say call and explain the situation and keep nagging till you get kicked upstairs to someone who can make you a deal.

If they won't, I'm not sure what's wrong with booking the cheaper room even if it has features you don't need. It's not your fault if they make those rooms cheaper and then don't provide enough of them for everyone who needs/wants one. Is that a dickish attitude? I feel like this more like a bathroom stall than a parking space. There is a rule against using the handicapped parking space, but there is no rule against using the handicapped stall in a restroom, and there's no reason not to unless there is a person in a wheelchair in line right behind you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up