Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes  (Read 6619 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 08:00:25 pm »

JL, you are way too optimistic (pessimistic?) about messenger bags.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 11:09:21 pm »

Today I am wearing three items of clothes, plus underwear, none of which have pockets.  I'm wearing a skirt today, and it is rare to find a skirt with pockets.  Or most dresses for that matter.  I typically carry a file folder briefcase bag, but I still prefer to have my keys and cell phone in my pockets to prevent digging around and/or fumbling.

As for why we wear clothes, for where I live the climate demands it.  The weather swings too dramatically from hot to cold so our bodies are never fully adjusted to one or the other and need protection.  Also, sitting with your bare ass on things is very uncomfortable.  I've tried doing so enough times to know this is a fact.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 11:11:56 pm »

Yeah, vinyl chairs are a bitch if you ain't got ##### on.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 12:25:40 am »

also, its easier to keep things clean since undies and ##### catch the brunt of our lower functions.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 12:48:57 am »

That's what I was getting at. Even if you live in a warm climate, who wants to sit on the sand with nothing on your crotch?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 01:46:57 am »

That's what I was getting at. Even if you live in a warm climate, who wants to sit on the sand with nothing on your crotch?

youre correct, but i was referring to public surfaces, such as barstools and park benches.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 01:56:47 am »

That's what I was getting at. Even if you live in a warm climate, who wants to sit on the sand with nothing on your crotch?

Or in the grass for that matter - there's always a twig, rock or a bit-y bug or something.  I suppose instead of being soft and tender, one's ass would become calloused over time though.  Not that that's a desirable thing either.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 02:33:12 am »

Personally -- and this might just be me -- even if I'm wearing a skirt and under#####, I still worry about bugs getting in my vajayjay.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 03:01:33 am »

Personally -- and this might just be me -- even if I'm wearing a skirt and under#####, I still worry about bugs getting in my vajayjay.

In general? Because that might be something you want to talk to someone about.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 03:02:52 am »

I feel the need to point out that lots of people in warm places didn't wear (many) clothes until we started making them.

much? many?

Ain't you ever seen Nat'l Geo? Those people balance all their belongings on their heads.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 03:31:17 am »

In general? Because that might be something you want to talk to someone about.

No, just when sitting on the grass in a skirt.

Which I think is somewhat reasonable -- what's to stop an ant from just marching on in? Would I even know?

Skeeves me out. You wouldn't understand, you've got your junk on the outside after all. But really, do you want your wang waving around loose when there are mosquitoes in the air?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 05:24:07 am »

I got a messenger bag.

You can't keep a laptop or a Bristol sketch pad in a wallet, dig.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 06:01:03 am »

No, just when sitting on the grass in a skirt.

Which I think is somewhat reasonable -- what's to stop an ant from just marching on in? Would I even know?

Skeeves me out. You wouldn't understand, you've got your junk on the outside after all. But really, do you want your wang waving around loose when there are mosquitoes in the air?

Reminds me I got to make plans to get to Sauvie Island this year.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 01:12:29 pm »

Skeeves me out. You wouldn't understand, you've got your junk on the outside after all. But really, do you want your wang waving around loose when there are mosquitoes in the air?

I once had to explain to a gay man how semen leaves a woman's pu$$y - "gravity."  He thought it just stayed in there unless it came out with a baby or got menstruated or douched out.  I then had to explain what douche was for, since he thought that that was the purpose of douching.  I'm not googling this, but I'm guessing that the dude was whatever the male equivalent of a Gold Star lesbian is.  Clearly women's pu$$ys only existed as a theory to him. 

I never worry about ants or bugs getting in, but when wearing a skirt I've been bitten on the butt enough times to know it isn't good.  I do occasionally go commando under a skirt, and the feeling of the breeze on my bits is a tad alarming for that brief moment before I remind myself that I'm wearing a skirt.  There's that flash of "oh no - I forgot my dungarees!"  before I remember myself.  I've had nightmares where I've forgotten my clothes, which I guess is where that fear comes from, as I don't think I've ever forgotten to get dressed in my waking life.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 12:16:43 am »

Damn, I won't even buy pajamas if they don't have pockets. The concept of pocketless ##### just boggles the mind. I have a female friend that owns pocketless jeans. The fuck? The whole purpose of jeans is to be cheap and durable. "Silhouettes" and shit do not even enter into the equation.

vajayjay

I may have to slap you the next time I see you. This is how much I hate that term.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up