Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes  (Read 6601 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 12:26:43 am »

There is nothing wrong with buying jeans based on how they look... but jeans without pockets look really stupid.

When I look at a butt without butt-pockets, it is like my brain can't process the shape of the butt. It is really disappointing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 12:49:51 am »

The whole purpose of jeans is to be cheap and durable. "Silhouettes" and shit do not even enter into the equation.

Where you are wrong about this is that a properly fitting normal pair of jeans - with pockets - is possibly the most attractive garment that a person can wear. AND it's practical.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 07:19:50 am »

I'll be the voice of dissent here. My wife's can looks fantastic in snug slacks without pockets. Of course, it also looks fantastic in jeans. And then in a skirt (of course no pockets) her hips look terrific.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 07:28:48 pm »

Who remembers those jeans with the zipper all the way from front to back, up through the hams - as it were?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 08:11:21 pm »

How about this one?
http://www.alleewillis.com/awmok/hair/walking-turn-un

(I just saw this today, and I can't remember where it was linked from. If someone posted it on TOUAMB earlier, just kick me in the shins.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 09:43:19 pm »

I remember seeing an ad in the back of Rolling Stone magazine many years ago for a pair of ##### that had an affordance for the male member.  It was like a glove for your dick.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 10:20:04 pm »

Found 'em: Rag City Blues

Good image of the idea


Good image of the implementation.

God bless the Internet!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 04:01:53 am »

I....

....don't remember ever seeing those. But now I sort of want a pair.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 07:52:05 pm »

I shudder to think of 4-7yr olds wearing those, JL.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 08:26:44 pm »

At first I thought these sort of ##### would be useful for sex trade workers, but then I thought about how unpleasent it would be to try to do the deed while working around zipper teeth, and I decided that they are instead totally functionless.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Reason We Wear Clothes
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 08:31:45 pm »

You could always peel them back down to the knees. It could work.

Jaydub, I had a brother and cousins ranging from 8 - 15 years older than me, and I sometimes hung out with them and their friends. So I'm more well-versed in 80's fashion and culture than most people born at the tail end of the '70s, so I find it kind of surprising that I never saw jeans like those anywhere. I didn't mean I expected to see them at grade school.

Then again, my brother's friends were mainly churchgoing types, and even if one of my cousins had owned a pair, my aunts certainly wouldn't have let them wear it to a family gathering.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up