Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 1$ Coins  (Read 6017 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
1$ Coins
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:46:46 am »

Apparently we have a bunch of them that nobody wants to use.  Meanwhile, I am ready and willing to start using 1$ coins, but I NEVER get them in my change, ever.  Now I know why.  It's because the government, rather than put the coins into circulation, is pouring them into some kind of Scrooge McDuck money bin in Baltimore.  WTF!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:16:07 pm »

Someone gave me one of those dollar coins to pay for something a couple weeks ago and for a minute she was trying to pull something, I had never seen one before.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:34:51 pm »

I got some in change when they first came out a few years ago and since then, nothing.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 12:39:54 pm »

the change machine at school gives them out when you put in a 5 or 10 dollar bill.  thats the only place i ever get them.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 03:22:17 pm »

when people give me these at work, the line "so you took the metro today?" gets laughs.

"I'm sorry, we don't accept metro tokens" made too many people confused.

I like them, but never get them as change.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 03:32:16 pm »

I like them too. I don't know of anyplace that around here that gives them as change.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 03:34:58 pm »

So into the new coinage. Unfortunately, I never actually use real cash money, so it's hard for me to pick any of it up out of pocket change.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 09:31:42 pm »

I don't know what the situation is  that prevents this from becoming a thing is down in the US. 

The only people who really suffer when it comes to dollar coins in Canada are strippers, and even then the talented ones figure out gross/ingenious ways of dealing with this.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 09:40:23 pm »

It's because our coins don't have an animal on them.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 09:54:29 pm »

So there are a bunch of us apparently that would like to use the $1 coins, but the government is just shoveling them into a Scrooge McDuck style money bin instead.  Fascinating!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 10:36:28 pm »

I had a giraffebowl where I kept a bunch of them, and I'd run my fingers through them and pour them from hand to hand.  Especially the gold Sacajawea ones.  Then the giraffebowl broke.  I actively try to keep them in circulation, spending them instead of giving them to nephews, etc.  I used to be able to go into the bank and get a roll of them, but they've been out the last few times I tried. Its hard to practice an eccentricity that has limited resources.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 12:25:16 am »

I get them as change when I use the pay parking lots with no attendant. I love them but I hoard them in my car's coin dealy so I can use them at parking meters. They're especially nice at the meters that give you more minutes for higher denomination coins (though those seem more rare).

The US won't drop the paper dollar for the same reason they won't drop the penny, we think unaltered currency appears strong and safe. Plus people hate change and would bitch.

Most people I hear who don't like the coins complain about the weight and that they'll scratch their phones. I'm guessing these are the same people who just never, ever spend change. They carry it around all day then empty their pockets into a jar at night and visit the Coin Star once a year.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 05:57:42 am »

I am so proud of myself when I remember to use change when I am buying something.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 07:14:28 am »

In general, the population refuses to use $1 coins. People may blame it on phones, but it was going on before they were popular. People want paper money. People are terrified of new things. The Susan B. Anthony debacle didn't help any.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 12:07:53 pm »

I'm gonna blow all your minds here:  shopping cart return systems at grocery stores typically use dollar coins here.  It makes for a lot more returned carts. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up