Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: googleplus  (Read 14720 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
googleplus
« on: July 10, 2011, 01:18:55 am »

anyone?  im already on board.  are you's?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: googleplus
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 03:20:40 am »

I'm on there. Solve this puzzle for my real name:

01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00100000 01110011 01101001 01110010 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01101110 01100001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01000100 01100001 01101110 01101001 01100101 01101100 00100000 01000010 01110101 01110010 01110100 01101111 01101110
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 04:20:05 am »

I'm there, same e-mail as my facebook, pretty sure I've got you both on there.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: googleplus
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 05:13:44 am »

I'm on there. Solve this puzzle for my real name:

01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00100000 01110011 01101001 01110010 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01101110 01100001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01000100 01100001 01101110 01101001 01100101 01101100 00100000 01000010 01110101 01110010 01110100 01101111 01101110

this is america.  speak spanish.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 06:49:14 pm »

Maybe someday. It won't let me join unless I update my browser and I can't update my browser because I am in the middle of a project looking for something in a web archive that will be very hard to find my place in if I have to start over.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:01:59 pm »

Maybe someday. It won't let me join unless I update my browser.

Use a different browser.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 09:26:42 pm »

Or I could go use the other computer. But I use ten million other websites every day that don't complain because I am not using the most recent version of Firefox. This doesn't seem like a very good way to attract members to yet another social networking site that might go nowhere.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 10:43:29 pm »

http://www.google.com/chrome/ <- a very good browser with adblock and few other extensions. can you not bookmark your current webpages?

i played a photo tag stunt on facebook that might get me the boot, will let you all know (hint: check my profile there)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 11:52:37 pm »

I'm perfectly happy with my browser and it's not even that old a version. I can't bookmark the thing because it is an archive of years of news stories structured as a single page that you just have to keep reloading more bits of. A bookmark will just bring me back to the beginning and I will have to scroll through two years again. So Google being pains in the ass are going to have wait in line behind The Telegraph being a pain in the ass.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: googleplus
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 12:43:23 am »

I wonder if they do things like that on purpose, to try and make the thing look more exclusive and early-adoptery.

"Let us make it only useful for the newest browsers and let us make there be fuck*ng invitations for a fuck*ng public website, just to make people feel like trend-setters and stuff.'

I am firmly not an early adopter, too, I guess.

The fact that most of these invitations are being offered up on facebook, the direct competition, tickles me somehow.

If it gets useful to the point where it isn't just a duplication of my facebook contacts, I'll join when it gets to that point, you know?

Why would I join before that? So that I can worry about doing the same things for mostly the same people in two different places?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 01:01:08 am »

Yeah, maybe, otherwise I don't really understand how "the social network for people who update their browsers frequently" is a good business model.

I have adopted a policy of joining these things early to get a good username. I have found that there is no downside to joining a website and never using it, but there is a large annoyance factor to having the name I want already taken.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 01:42:53 am »

We have been let go from Ash's friendship group.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: googleplus
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 02:31:39 am »

I think the kind of people who design Google Plus forget that people exist who don't update their browsers. Because, why wouldn't you? Other than a really weird situation like Wombat's.

I definitely like the interface a lot more, and like circles. Never felt bothered by Facebook the way many of my peers did, until I saw how cool and easy G+ is.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 02:46:34 am »

No, I'll still write you letters. Using a pen. With my hand.

Oh I don't have a mailbox, sorry. Could you use a stylus on your iPad and then post them to my tumblr?

I think the kind of people who design Google Plus forget that people exist who don't update their browsers. Because, why wouldn't you? Other than a really weird situation like Wombat's.

I definitely like the interface a lot more, and like circles. Never felt bothered by Facebook the way many of my peers did, until I saw how cool and easy G+ is.

Yeah, likewise, I never got the grief with Facebook but plus is nice, though some of that might be that it just isn't weighted down with spam and crappy ads yet.
The two things I would like most at the moment (which are kind of the same thing) is a way to do events and the ability to tag a post with any location, not just my current one (or what it thinks is my current one, due to proxy nonsense Plus thinks  I'm about a thousand kms from where I actually am). You could do these both at the same time by being able to give posts a time and location, add a poll feature so people can put 'coming, not coming, don't know' and you'd have a reasonable fascimile of events with way more customisation.

Paul: Yes.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:55:41 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 02:49:44 am »

Can you edit your post?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up