Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Facebook is the new email  (Read 19038 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Facebook is the new email
« on: July 20, 2011, 07:30:57 pm »

Remember back in the day when your inbox was constantly being bombarded by silly emails that would say in effect that if you forwarded the email to a certain number of people you would get an amazing surprise in the next 2 minutes.  What was it that was going to happen? I don't exactly remember.  A special pop up?  A call from the president?

And remember back in the day when you would get emails telling you that Bill Gates is testing some new email software or something like that and you would receive $500 dollars for each person you forwarded it to?

Yeah, I think that is starting to happen on Facebook.  I think this and this are two examples very much akin to those old email days.

It's a bit frightening that there are over 90 thousand people who have signed up for these things so far without wondering how FB is going to send out these items when they aren't asking for a mailing address.

In a perfect world this would be a litmus test and anyone gullible enough to sign up would have their account deleted.  Send 'em back to email where they belong.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 07:41:30 pm »

Critical thinking is not a common skill in humans, especially when we really want to believe something is true.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 08:29:50 pm »

Oh man, anyone remember the silly sock chain letter thing?  Where you had to buy a bunch of socks and mail them to the person at the top of the list, then move the next person in line up to the top and add yourself to the bottom... I don't remember the details, but I do remember my mom buying a whole bunch of socks and then mailing them, and then me patiently waiting for my cool socks to arrive.  They never did though.  I'd still like to get seven cool socks in the mail.  Sigh.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:09:04 am »


[edit]goddamit, aw was all pithy and shit while i had to write some stupid tome that isn't all that funny on the re-read.[/edit]

Untrue!  Untrue!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 12:48:37 am »

Dear Guy Who Inexplicably Knows Everyone,

I don't know what kind of brain damage you have, but it is seriously irritating that you post the exact same status update to Facebook and your Google Plus "extended Circles" within minutes of each other. Especially since a quick glance tells me that there's nobody on G+ who isn't also on your Facebook friends list.

What's even more irritating is that every one of your double-posts this week has been a quote from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Every. Single. One.

But the most irritating thing, the most frustrating of all, is that if I unfriend you, you'll not only notice, you'll be offended, and probably talk about me behind my back to people I happen to like.

Since I'm clearly hoping to avoid cutting you out of my virtual life, could you please stop doing everything annoying you can think of and just act like a normal 35 year old father of 2?

Thanks.

 -- JayElle
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 02:01:33 pm »

I don't mind 1,000 vacation photos in a single album on Facebook. I just get irritated at one or two photos a day, every day, of random shit around the poster's house or neighborhood.

The "365" Albums, where the person's supposed to post a pic a day for a whole year, those are irritating. Especially if you've got 4 different teenagers all doing it & commenting on each others' results.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 03:32:35 pm »

I've long wanted to do a deconstruction of those 365 things called "365 Hats" where I take a picture of myself with a slightly different hat every day.

Sort of both a commentary on how much of the internet is vanity projects and, also, a celebration of how weird the idea of a hat is.

I mean, it's shaped fabric you put on your head for some reason! That's really kind of absurd when you come down to it.

When you come down to hats.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 04:22:50 pm »

I feel fortunate I have never seen anyone doing one of those. Probably anyone who'd do such a thing is already blocked from my feed.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 10:14:52 am »

I approve of people who take a photo of themselves everyday and then string it together into a 1 minute youtube clip. That fascinatingly illustrates little changes over time. I think actually seeing the album day by day wouldn't be as good.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:07:42 pm »

You could get a Mets hat and turn it 1 degree each day. Full rotation after a year.

I've long wanted to do a deconstruction of those 365 things called "365 Hats" where I take a picture of myself with a slightly different hat every day.

Sort of both a commentary on how much of the internet is vanity projects and, also, a celebration of how weird the idea of a hat is.

I mean, it's shaped fabric you put on your head for some reason! That's really kind of absurd when you come down to it.

When you come down to hats.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 05:14:40 pm »

Oh man, anyone remember the silly sock chain letter thing?  Where you had to buy a bunch of socks and mail them to the person at the top of the list, then move the next person in line up to the top and add yourself to the bottom... I don't remember the details, but I do remember my mom buying a whole bunch of socks and then mailing them, and then me patiently waiting for my cool socks to arrive.  They never did though.  I'd still like to get seven cool socks in the mail.  Sigh.

I was just discussing a CD exchange with someone and they told me their mother or other older female relatives do a dish towel pyramid thing where you send out 6 dishtowels and are supposed to end up with like 30? How do adults think that would work? Why does anyone fall for that?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 07:20:31 pm »

Yeah, at least my mom had the excuse of being mentally ill.  As for any other adults involved, WTF? 

And tea towels?  Really?  There's something sad about a world where a lady won't just buy herself all the tea towels she needs rather than hoping they'll come to her via a pyramid scheme. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 12:00:58 am »

I just saw my first Maxine sighting on Facebook.  If that doesn't spell the beginning of the end I don't know what does.

Also, I think this goes in here too.

Edit:  Hey, this is the thread where Smells posted about the socks.  :)
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 05:16:35 pm »

One of my most dingbat right wing, Sarah Palin loving, evangelical Christian Facebook friends "liked" The Creation.  it's a band, apparently, but I thought she had liked, you know, the creation.  It gave me a giggle, I tell you.  God's greatest miracle given affirmation by Facebook.  It really struck my funnybone.  I was disappointed when I learned it was something different.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 06:35:06 pm »

Once I saw that someone had liked "Music." Is that necessary? Do you also like Food, and Oxygen?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up