Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Facebook is the new email  (Read 19049 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2011, 11:30:41 pm »

Another good response before unsub-ing would have been a linik to wombles recent book.

Why didn't I think of that? I am a terrible businessperson. That book is full of infanticide.

On the other hand those people are probably not its natural audience.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2011, 12:51:48 am »

I went back to that paged armed with science.

Someone had already beat me to the punch... sort of.  The first comment from a lady named Cindy was "I think she is about to eat it. =o LOL"

So I commented "Cindy, that's highly likely. Squirrels often eat their babies. Perhaps that's the human emotion this photo is describing. Eat your babies, it's what every devoted mother does."

Which caused the person who posted this nonsense to comment "Lmao....i would surely have eaten mine Paul, if I'd had any... ;D"

Clearly, the only thing to do at this point is to post Ash's link.  At least I won't be subjected to them anymore.  I wonder if I'll still get constant invites to see her band play.  Probably.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2011, 12:53:51 am »

Well, maybe they would buy my book after all then.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2011, 01:04:14 am »

Another friend just posted this on their wall "I have so many smart FB friends - It is fun to cruise through their posts and simply pass them on by sharing. Much better than getting an email that works like a chain letter."

(fingers unsubscribe button)

A few minutes she "shared" this...


Man, I really love this unsubscribe button.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2011, 02:23:14 am »

See, I read that another way: this particular friend admits that she is is 4% unfunny and 2% nonsexy, rather than being a 100% funny and 100% sexy individual.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2011, 02:45:36 am »

Tina Fey is definitely 98% sexy and 2% funny.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2011, 04:14:44 am »

See, I read that another way: this particular friend admits that she is is 4% unfunny and 2% nonsexy, rather than being a 100% funny and 100% sexy individual.

What percentage is she hackneyed hallmark cloying sentimentality?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2011, 08:05:53 am »

Because that's the first thing that picture looked like to me.

How can you look at that and not think that it's about to eat its baby? That was the first thing that came to my mind and I can't look at it any other way.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2011, 08:34:21 am »

How can you look at that and not think that it's about to eat its baby? That was the first thing that came to my mind and I can't look at it any other way.

not everyone's heart is a piece of beef jerky...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2011, 08:52:13 am »

not everyone's heart is a piece of beef jerky...

Oh no, baby squirrel heart is very tender.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2011, 11:56:49 am »

How can you look at that and not think that it's about to eat its baby? That was the first thing that came to my mind and I can't look at it any other way.

This is exactly the thing! Peoples' minds are so warped about animals that the first thing they think is that they are cute and darling and loving. When they are obviously about to eat their babies. How did this happen? What is wrong with us? This is why I wrote the book.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2011, 08:59:31 pm »

Tina Fey is definitely 98% sexy and 2% funny.

What?!?

More for me, then. Please and thank you.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2011, 09:58:11 pm »

Quote from: Facebook
If you think the occasional (or frequent, or any) use of profanity is ok, and doesn't discredit everything you're trying to say, hit the like button.
If you do, please delete me from your friends list. You've shown me how stupid you are, and will save me the trouble from doing it myself in the near future.

Thanks, and have a fuck*ng awesome day!

So I unfriended him.  I don't entirely disagree with him, but yeah, I think profanity is at best unnecessary when you are trying to take a point.   

To be fair, I hardly knew the dude so it's no big loss and one less bloody fuck*ng wanker on my Facebook wall.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2011, 10:40:31 pm »

I have a strict limit of 150 Facebook friends. I'm at the limit right now, so if I meet one more interesting person, some of the people I haven't spoken to since high school are going to go.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the new email
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2011, 11:34:16 pm »

So I unfriended him.  I don't entirely disagree with him, but yeah, I think profanity is at best unnecessary when you are trying to take a point.  

To be fair, I hardly knew the dude so it's no big loss and one less bloody fuck*ng wanker on my Facebook wall.
His post was really poorly written for a diatribe about communication.
Quote
If you think the occasional (or frequent, or any) use of profanity is ok, and doesn't discredit everything you're trying to say, hit the like button.
If you do, please delete me from your friends list. You've shown me how stupid you are, and will save me the trouble from doing it myself in the near future.
So I'm supposed to click like, and then delete him from my list? My guess is that he means "If you do think that profanity discredits any argument, then delete blah blah blah."
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up