I feel like I really brought the mood down in here.
How was I supposed to know that posting a link to the Google result for the saddest pet was going to dig up sad memories?
Well, I guess I'm here to dig the hole a little deeper.
One of these pugs is dead.

I recently saw Maria Bamford talk about her pug Blossom, at a taping of the Risk podcast.
Maria Bamford is one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite comedian. She also loves pugs. She also struggles with Bipolar Disorder, debilitating OCD and depression. How her illness manifests is in thoughts of hurting loved ones and an inability to stop herself from doing these things. She's not violent, but she's afraid she is.
In 2006 she had a breakdown and, she sought treatment. Part of that treatment was exposure and desensitization treatment. What that looked like was her sitting with her pug and voicing her thoughts about harming the pug. The twist of course being that she doesn't harm, Blossom, and if anything, Blossom is just happy with the attention.
She was fine for a number of years until last year. The triggering event being that she had moved a ramp away from a doggy door, and her elderly pug Blossom ran though it, fell and ultimately died. She blames herself, the event being the culmination of her worst fears.
It's an amazing story... heart wrenching. I had seen her perform the night before and her act had a LOT of new chunks in it. Turns out they were all from the last year of institutionalization and breakdown.
It's incredibly worth a listen to the show where she explained it. (The other stories are pretty good too. Should you find yourself with an hour of silence where you'd really like to hear some people talking.
http://risk-show.com/podcast/live-from-portland/)