Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...  (Read 29071 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2012, 03:01:17 am »

True, but the Ravens are undefeated at home and they've had a week to rest.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2012, 03:14:04 am »

I don't give a fuck who wins what as long as the Broncos get beat, preferably with Tebow getting badly injured. I wish they had the Ravens instead of NE. Just let it end up Ray-Ray getting a chance to stab Timmy. Permanent spot on the DVR.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2012, 04:43:45 am »

Patriots destroy Broncos.

Also, it's kind of hilarious and mildly irritating that I got a CNN Breaking News alert over a divisional playoff game. I really hate the Broncos.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:58:45 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2012, 05:17:16 am »

Just realized that I have to root for the Packers now because I don't trust the Giants to pull off an upset two weeks in a row and beat the 9ers. Damn it. I might as well just stop giving a fuck this season. Am I ready for some basketball?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2012, 09:59:46 pm »

So the newly crowned Miss America is from Wisconsin, and at some point during the proceedings she said "Aaron Rodgers, call me." I suppose a date with Miss America would cheer a guy up after losing a big ol' playoff game.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2012, 11:18:49 pm »

Yeah, wow. I didn't expect that. Almost feel sorry for the guy.



Oh wait, no I don't.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2012, 04:35:29 am »

Being in Minnesota and without internet service I was spared the wailing and gnashing of teeth on Facebook when the Texans lost.  Also, we took a break from sight seeing on Sunday and found ourselves in a dive bar watching the Packers vs. Giants.

In Minneapolis, as I discovered, the Packers are like the Cowboys are here.  The allegiance in the bar was split.  Half were rooting for the Packers because and the rest were, not exactly rooting for New York so much as rooting against the Packers. 

I watched about half of the game while Abby and Kendra drank beers and chatted.  That was a lot of fun.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2012, 06:13:41 pm »

Bwahahahahahaha! Yeah,it is hard to pull for Eli Manning, but that was fuck*ng delicious. Also:

Giselle Bundchen tosses Welker, Hernandez under a nearby bus.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2012, 06:30:32 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2012, 06:37:57 pm »

They deserve it if someone can prove that no other teams have done it (tough, proving a negative).  Otherwise this is just ass-covering by the league. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2012, 07:02:50 pm »

They deserve it if someone can prove that no other teams have done it (tough, proving a negative).  Otherwise this is just ass-covering by the league. 

If other teams have done this they should be punished harshly too. Why is this ass covering?  Do you think the league privately condones this behavior?  It seems to me that every season the league comes out with a new set of rules designed to better protect the players.  Given that, I would think the league is extremely upset by this.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2012, 07:15:38 pm »

I believe they did it.  I believe other teams did it.  I believe it is very, very wrong and at the heart of a major problem in amateur and pro sports (lack of respect for oneself and ones opponents).  I believe it should be punished.  As an organization, I think the league is serious about player safety.  However, I think this particular sanctioning action is far out of proportion to the offense that Payton actually was party to, and its being done to "send a message".  That is, I believe, unfair to the Saints and their fans.  If hard nosed investigations of similar practices on other teams result in similar penalties, then fine - this is the first one of many to follow.  If the league hopes that the problem goes away, is making an example of this particular incident and ignores the probable truth that other teams are doing similar things, then the Saints are being penalized for getting caught - in which case the lesson isn't "don't do this" it is "don't get caught" and "don't rat out the program".
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2012, 08:05:27 pm »

I'm glad the league has done this and I hope it does send a message.  I don't know what else the league can do in the absence of evidence. You can't punish a team for doing something if you can't prove they are doing it.  But if there are other teams out there doing what the Saints were doing, you can bet they are reconsidering it right now.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up