artcar n \ˈärt-kär\ : a automobile modified or altered as an artistic effort or for decorative purposes
Paul can probably explain the line between skillfully/beautifully rendered body jobs on cars vs artcars better than I can. I can't really articulate it - I know I've never seen what I would consider an artcar at a standard car show, and although I've seen some really souped up, modded hot rods, I also don't consider them art cars... I can't really explain the difference apart from saying that the intent behind those doing the work is different on some level.
I think you've hit the nail square on the head. Although I do consider hotrods to be artcars, they are from a different world, a different species. The intent of the artist is the key. In the hotrod world there pretty strict guidelines of conformity on how things should be done. In the artcar world individual expression trumps all other considerations.
It's way more complicated than that, but I think that's at the heart of it.
The way that's written, "modified or altered as an artistic effort or for decorative purposes" modifies wheels. I don't think that's what you mean.
Also, this definition would include bicycles, wheelbarrows and lil' red wagons.
How about just "An automobile modified or altered as an artistic effort or for decorative purposes."
I've taken your suggestion. Bikes are their own thing and I've never seen an art wheelbarrow, but there is a
Little Red Wagon.
Are motorcycles considered automobiles? I've certainly seen some bikes with an assortment of purely decorative modifications, but I don't know if I would consider them under the "artcar" definition.
I haven't seen too many art motorcycles, but lots of art scooters.