Uh no that's not quite right. The "backlash" as it were was that the republicans nominated McCain who, in their eyes, did not lean far enough to the right. And I'm sure there were some reasonable Republicans that realized he was much too old and that Palin was/is an idiot.
But Obama, like all presidents, was elected by the independent majority who would rather vote for an upbeat hopeful young guy instead of the mean and cranky old (possibly senile) alternative. But I'm not talking about those people, I'm talking about the dyed in the wool Republicans. I've never heard any wavering from that camp. To them George Bush is a mother fuck*ng hero. Not like their counterparts on the left such as our sMets who are by and large pretty disappointed in Obama.
Unless I'm way off, the backlash from the far right of the Republican party that you are referring to did not get Obama elected. I can't imagine those particular disappointed voters would have switched sides or stayed home in large enough numbers to make a difference. If someone closer to Bush had been nominated I imagine Obama's margin of victory may have been wider. Unless again I am way off and there were enough conservative voters who skipped the polls that year who would have been energized by a Huckabee/Romney ticket or something. I admit I could be totally wrong there.
I think Ash is right in saying that 8 years of Bush was enough for the majority of Americans to give the other guys a chance. Even if just a few decades ago the guy in particular wouldn't have been able to eat at many of the campaign stops in some of the states he carried. A lot of people who voted for Bush in '04 voted for Obama. That the nation was already in recession and the indicators were rapidly and increasingly appearing didn't hurt, either. And, Obama is one hell of a campaigner. Of course, '12 will be much tougher with a supremely disappointing governing record. It was easier to not have one at all.
But I also agree that there is less noise from Bush supporters, though I think the disappointment is there. Liberals just whine louder.
Edit: I just realized that I misread: "The "backlash" as it were was that the republicans nominated McCain who, in their eyes, did not lean far enough to the right. And I'm sure there were some reasonable Republicans that realized he was much too old and that Palin was/is an idiot." Because much of my post basically says what your second paragraph says. I guess I'm not clear on what the backlash is in that sentence. The nomination of McCain was a reaction from the primary voters (who are largely the dyed in the wool Republicans you mentioned) to the more conservative Bush administration? Anyway. Sorry for the confused and unnecessary post. Carry on.