Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Election '12  (Read 50997 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 02:54:29 am »

When I took the oath of office to become a licensed attorney, I had to swear that I had neither participated in a duel nor acted as a second. 

I've also administered that same oath multiple times to other officeholders.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 04:03:19 am »

I am pretty sure stealing from large corporations is fine.  I stole from Wal mart for the sole purpose of taking shit from them (I didn't need or want what I stole, I stole only because i could steal from that particular entity).  Right now I work at a large soulless place as a cashier (I will have this job for less than a month thank god).  I let people steal if I see it and sometimes I purposely don't ring shit up.  Stealing from people is different, but only sorta.  You say it's you and yours over all else but, well that conflicts sometimes and if people stealing from you are using the exact same argument I don't really think you have a solid point.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2011, 05:03:38 am »

I make no bones about it...if it's me and mine or you and yours, well, tough shit for you, buddy.

Oh, sorry.


And you go ahead and do what you please. Just realize that if you wind up with a rap sheet for it it pretty much validates you're doing wrong.

I don't believe you, you're a liar (play fuck*ng loud).
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Election '12
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 07:41:13 am »

On a macro and slightly tangential level, though, I think we're getting near the question at the heart of what's fucked up about political discourse today...

Not at all what y'all were talking about but... it's the idea of "me and mine" versus "you and yours" and how... other than moments of direct physical conflict amoungst individuals, you can't really apply those concepts to the political and economic world today. The world's too small, we're too interdependent, we're all too entwined. On different levels and time scales, the difference between the private sphere and the social sphere is so blurred that the notion of such a false dichotomy is really only useful as theoretical debate fodder.

I mean is this the whole Teatard problem, that scared rubes are being convinced by corporate forces through sturm-und-drung shills and out-of-touch academics that if they just keep more of their tax money to "them and theirs" everything is going to be better when... history proves pretty much the opposite? That the great solvent to class unrest is allowing middle classes to exist and thrive through shared social effort, to buffer and translate between the rich and the poor, stabilizing the whole goddamned Jello mold?

If we give of our taxes, giving of "us and ours", to create social mobility, education, health care, housing, cops, firemen, roads that obstensively help "everyone other than us" the benefits come back to us indirectly and magnified by the power of bulk buying... what does it even mean to be us and them? Yet corporate interests use preacher-thieves and possibly well-meaing-reality-dislodged libertarian theorists to try and try and try to tear that all down for the quick thrill of a couple new yachts this quarter at the risk of society twenty years down the road? Smashing the eggs that make new golden geese?

Isn't the illusion that there CAN be a difference between benefit to self and benefit to society on a macrolevel the same way it honestly can exist on an individual's level, as promligated by bastards thieves and priests, isn't this new-old confusion the whole reason everything's going to shit and the middle classes are going to be dead in America before I am?

Or am I just drunk? Am I just unconscionably drunk and sentimental for the idea of a world where we can help ourselves by helping others?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Election '12
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2011, 04:19:09 pm »

I am pretty sure stealing from large corporations is fine.  I stole from Wal mart for the sole purpose of taking shit from them (I didn't need or want what I stole, I stole only because i could steal from that particular entity).  Right now I work at a large soulless place as a cashier (I will have this job for less than a month thank god).  I let people steal if I see it and sometimes I purposely don't ring shit up.  Stealing from people is different, but only sorta.  You say it's you and yours over all else but, well that conflicts sometimes and if people stealing from you are using the exact same argument I don't really think you have a solid point.

We've been down this road as much as we have the great pubic hair debate, and I can say it never gets a lot of takers. You rock on with your bad self, though.

Stealing from people is different, but it's also exactly the same. You steal from Wal-Mart, they figure shrink into their calculations, they raise prices on the next guy.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Election '12
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2011, 05:29:31 pm »

Maybe if we steal enough from those cracker assholes and their slick-ass stockholders, though, eventually they have to raise prices so much that small businesses can compete again?

I mean, it might take a lot of stolen gum but it might be a good goal to work toward.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Election '12
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2011, 05:46:25 pm »

Maybe if we steal enough from those cracker assholes and their slick-ass stockholders, though, eventually they have to raise prices so much that small businesses can compete again?

I mean, it might take a lot of stolen gum but it might be a good goal to work toward.

I'm a slick-ass stockholder. Well, not of Wal-Mart, because they are soulless white devils, but y'know.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2011, 05:52:15 pm »

Stealing from people is different, but it's also exactly the same. You steal from Wal-Mart, they figure shrink into their calculations, they raise prices on the next guy.

I think that is good.



We have been down this road before, sorry.  Ash, you are more right than I originally thought, but yeah, ain't no one gonna change so whatever.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2011, 05:53:35 pm »

Maybe if we steal enough from those cracker assholes and their slick-ass stockholders, though, eventually they have to raise prices so much that small businesses can compete again?

I mean, it might take a lot of stolen gum but it might be a good goal to work toward.

I would steal printer cartridges, shampoo and conditioners and expensive small electronics.  I have some folding scissors I stole from wal mart that I would use to steal from walmart.  Basically the most expensive stuff you can get out of there is what you steal.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Election '12
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2011, 05:56:23 pm »

You'd have less impact on your fellow consumers (and more impact on the fuckhead corporation) if you just went ahead and murdered the CEO.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Election '12
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2011, 06:32:03 pm »

Nah, there's always another man without a conscience ready to step in and CEO a multinational.

That's like trying to cure a case of the clap by erasing the wikipedia page about the clap.

My favourite saying on matters economic ever is "just when you think you're hanging the last capitalist, some guy comes along and tries to sell you the rope".

Now, of course, I am a pacifist who hates killing and I am not a communist, I am more of the northern European model where there is socialism for greater good things like education and health care and heavily-regulated-but-open-capitalism for the rest of the marketplace.

However. That is a fuck*ng badass quote.

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2011, 07:40:31 pm »

You'd have less impact on your fellow consumers (and more impact on the fuckhead corporation) if you just went ahead and murdered the CEO.

People who shop at Wal mart (or target or pretty much any corporation that isnt a grocery store or gas station) are not my fellow consumers.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2011, 08:10:03 pm »

http://www.nataliedee.com/092311/

I wanted to insert this comic into this thread because it seemed like some of youall might want to use it but I have too much work to do today to spend time on the technical details so you will have to settle for the link.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Election '12
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2011, 08:50:29 pm »

I knew I shouldn't have come in here to begin with. Wombat has it exactly right, and it applies to me as much as anyone.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2011, 10:42:43 pm »

I knew I shouldn't have come in here to begin with. Wombat has it exactly right, and it applies to me as much as anyone.

Yep.

Rationalize it however the hell you want, but you're only kidding yourself. 

You're not engaged in some noble enterprise and you make things more expensive for everybody.
 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22   Go Up