Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Election '12  (Read 51059 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2012, 12:36:57 am »

I'm pretty sure most people are going through the motions of caring about the Republican offerings just because, you know, we do this stuff every 4 years.  Unless Obama or his minions seriously crap the bed in the next year I don't think there will be any serious interest in putting one of these loons into office.

Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Election '12
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2012, 03:29:39 am »

I wish I could agree with that, but I work with a demographic that is seriously committed to seeing Obama as the antichrist no matter what he does, and the right is punching that button pretty hard.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2012, 06:02:27 am »

I'm pretty sure most people are going through the motions of caring about the Republican offerings just because, you know, we do this stuff every 4 years.  Unless Obama or his minions seriously crap the bed in the next year I don't think there will be any serious interest in putting one of these loons into office.

I feel that exact way, but I think Ron Paul maybe could give him a run.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2012, 01:28:02 pm »

I wish I could agree with that, but I work with a demographic that is seriously committed to seeing Obama as the antichrist no matter what he does, and the right is punching that button pretty hard.

This. 

On the other hand, Mitt Romney is pretty uninspiring and will receive tepid support at best from social conservatives.  Would not be surprised to see a third party challenger, either Paul or someone along the Bachmann/Santorum/Perry/Palin spectrum, which would immediately doom Romney.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2012, 01:31:29 pm »

Not for another decade or so anyway.
Not even then unless they amend the constitution.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Election '12
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2012, 04:55:18 am »

Not even then unless they amend the constitution.

Ah, born in the Philippines. Because he was born to American citizens just living abroad, though, isn't this not entirely clear?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Election '12
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2012, 06:48:07 am »

I need to stop talking about serious things with my roommate. This might become a problem.

"If Ron Paul had won the Republican nomination, I would start making plans to move to another country."

When we are talking in generalities he makes sense, and then he says that anyone who likes Ron Paul is a bigoted idiot.

Yikes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2012, 09:06:02 am »

I want to like Ron Paul but then it makes me feel like a bigoted idiot.

I think that he is the only one who would do things that would help to fix our country (cut way back on our ridiculous military, legalize all drugs) and that would probably last forever (my lifetime).  I also think that if you were a poor person in this country during his presidency you would be pretty screwed.  I think that maybe we could and would just fix this as soon as he left office, but yeah, it would be a rougher time for a lot of people.  Like don't get sick or you will die in the streets rough.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Election '12
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2012, 06:44:33 pm »

I wish they'd pass this Buffet thing, but they won't. I wish they'd just constantly publish who doesn't support it and where their money comes from, which is a little more likely.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Election '12
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2012, 07:12:51 pm »

Knowing these jackasses, they'll say they granted "a" Buffet thing and they'll just grant each corporate personhood a lifetime supply of cheeseburgers in paradise.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Election '12
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2012, 03:56:11 am »

At least Tim Tebow can't run for president.

Tim Tebow would consider a career in politics.

But back to my earlier question, does the fact that he was born in the Philippines make him ineligible to run for president? The term natural born citizen seems pretty hazy.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Election '12
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2012, 04:17:07 am »

My biggest Tebow nightmare is him in a Seahawks jersey.

I just shuddered.

Well, and there's also the one that involves Tebow, Elway, Mister Ed (or just a donkey, it alternates), two girls and a cup, but I'll spare you guys the details.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2012, 05:48:36 am »

I thought Mr. Ed was a kicker for the Seahawks back in the day.  Oh wait, that was Gus.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Election '12
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2012, 05:10:26 am »

Nah, if his parent(s) were in good standing, citizenship wise, he could run for show runner.

So there's your nightmare fuel, kids.

Hm. That reads to me that it gives him citizenship, but I don't see where it makes him any different than naturalized.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Election '12
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2012, 05:45:51 am »

If his parents were citizens, then he was born a citizen. Isn't a naturalized citizen one who wasn't born a citizen of that country?

I imagine this came up in the '68 Republican primary when George Romney ran. He was born in Mexico. Of course he sabotaged his campaign so I don't know if it ever had the chance to become an issue.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Up