Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Election '12  (Read 51005 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2012, 04:29:00 pm »

I can't believe it's too much to ask that they at least don't sound like a fuck*ng pinhead while they are lying to us.

Yeah, I would settle for that.

You know what else I would settle for? If a party is going to run a guy who's supposedly qualified on the basis of having been a governor, pick one who doesn't have to claim he doesn't believe in any of the things he did as governor. There is more than one Republican governor out there, so how hard can this be? Just pick a different one. Seriously.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2012, 04:59:18 pm »

Those evil doer's you mention are also smart enough to stay in the background. Those pinheads we all dislike are their automated meat puppets.

Exactly this. This system actually works okay until a Dick Cheney tells the useful idiot to fuggedabout the advisers.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Election '12
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2012, 12:30:04 am »

Is that meant to be a point in his favour? I've only read Atlas Shrugged and found the philosophy quite interesting, largely since it was my first exposure to objectivism, but that was not a well written book.

No, not at all. I've only read The Fountainhead and didn't like it, but I've had great conversations with objectivists, so I agree with you.  I was mostly rambling, but mainly meant to point out that Ryan doesn't claim to be a disciple of Rand.

Mitt Romney once named Battlefield Earth as his favorite novel. Could this be the ticket with the worst taste in literature ever?

Maybe that's unfair because I've never read Battlefield Earth. And I guaranfuck*ngtee you that unless someone pays me to do it, I never will.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2012, 04:03:02 am »

I read The Fountainhead as a young reader and enjoyed it. I enjoyed the movie too. Admittedly I was inspired to read Ayn Rand by Rush's 2112.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #229 on: August 17, 2012, 11:36:25 am »

I enjoyed the movie too.
Given this information, no one should ever take Paul's movie recommendations seriously. Ever.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #230 on: August 17, 2012, 01:11:44 pm »

I read The Fountainhead as a young reader and enjoyed it. I enjoyed the movie too. Admittedly I was inspired to read Ayn Rand by Rush's 2112.

You mean the old one with Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #231 on: August 17, 2012, 01:15:11 pm »

You mean the old one with Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal?

Yes. There is another?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #232 on: August 17, 2012, 01:19:41 pm »

Yes. There is another?

They made the first part of Atlas Shrugged into a movie a couple of years ago.  It sucked pretty bad.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #233 on: August 17, 2012, 01:21:12 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #234 on: August 17, 2012, 02:02:53 pm »

I guess I dodged a bullet by reading The Fountainhead instead.  Ha ha. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Election '12
« Reply #235 on: August 17, 2012, 04:15:57 pm »

Interestingly, I read "Breakfast of Champions" at fourteen.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #236 on: August 17, 2012, 04:21:18 pm »

Maybe that's unfair because I've never read Battlefield Earth. And I guaranfuck*ngtee you that unless someone pays me to do it, I never will.
I read it because a friend had recommended it and I thought it would be good to chat about (we talked endlessly about the Sci-Fi and action books we were reading).  Even as a 15 year old I found it turgid and laborious. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #237 on: August 21, 2012, 11:56:18 pm »

I guess the republicans have secured the pro rape vote.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #238 on: August 22, 2012, 02:23:34 am »

Interestingly, I read "Breakfast of Champions" at fourteen.

Breakfast of Champions was my first Vonnegut, in eighth grade.  Older kids on the bus to a cross-country meet were reading it and cracking up at the drawings. 

So it goes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2012, 10:59:09 am »

Breakfast of Champions was my second Vonnegut book. My first was "Harrison Bergeron" which has since been made into a great movie called 2081. Every adaption of Rand to film blows hard.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22   Go Up