Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Election '12  (Read 51020 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #240 on: August 22, 2012, 06:24:59 pm »

Breakfast of Champions was my second Vonnegut book. My first was "Harrison Bergeron" which has since been made into a great movie called 2081. Every adaption of Rand to film blows hard.

Wasn't HB a short story/novella? I read it in 9th grade but I remembered it being somewhat less than book length.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #241 on: August 22, 2012, 08:06:49 pm »

Yes. It was a short story and the movie is less than hour.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Election '12
« Reply #242 on: September 11, 2012, 12:06:36 pm »

inside the romney family home

hm.  im not voting for him and im not completely buying the "rolled up sleeves/working dude" angle.  im just glad to see a little glimmer of humanity in the ***** facade(whether earned or blown out of proportion by the press).
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Election '12
« Reply #243 on: October 18, 2012, 01:14:45 pm »

I think that presidential candidates should be banned from making "on day one, I will..." promises, because you know that the first thing on their agenda is really gonna be jumping on the Lincoln bed.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #244 on: October 18, 2012, 07:25:29 pm »

The scales are finally falling from your eyelids.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #245 on: October 18, 2012, 07:41:32 pm »

It's not like I suddenly crave sucking on Donkey Junk, y'know?

How do you know sucking on Donkey Junk is bad?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #246 on: October 18, 2012, 07:55:58 pm »

Why find out?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #247 on: October 18, 2012, 08:10:50 pm »

I'm glad someone other than me is reading the stuff I put up.  I try not to post utter garbage so that those who do see it know my signal:noise is worth checking out.  I'm still a registered Republican, but at this point the national party has almost totally alienated me.  I think the only thing keeping me from actually registering as a Democrat would be the glee of my brothers and stepfather.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Election '12
« Reply #248 on: October 19, 2012, 12:21:29 am »

I'm still a registered Republican, but at this point the national party has almost totally alienated me.

Replace Republican with Democrat and that describes me. But the Republican party alienated me years ago at a young age already, so I have nowhere else to go. Except political apathy, I guess. Who am I kidding, I've been there for years now.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #249 on: October 20, 2012, 02:40:51 am »

I'm registered unaffiliated. I've swung both ways in the past, but with politics the way they are right now I lean heavily Democratic.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Election '12
« Reply #250 on: October 20, 2012, 02:49:29 am »

I have never been aware of politics in any other era. So I am registered Democrat.

I might vote for my buddy who is running for a weird city administrative position as a Republican.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2012, 05:49:03 am »

I used to think myself libertarian, but then I realized there was in fact a social contract, and that it's a mostly good thing for nearly every level of society.

After that I thought myself republican, until I realized that social issues were as important as economic ones.

Next I thought myself centrist, as good ideas can come from anywhere. And then I stopped hearing very many good ideas from very many places.

Then I thought myself democratic, until the national Overton window shifted so far to the right that the democrats couldn't see through both it and my personal Overton window.

Now I just wish the green party was at all viable. But then, nobody seems to know how to build an actual third party.

In the future I might find myself a complete socialist, if only as a reaction to how consistently more conservative the elephant and donkey get as they age.

Hey, there's a neat idea for a study: party platforms judged through the years on the political compass.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2012, 05:35:03 pm »

I live in a state where the Republican party is lead by Mitch fuck*ng McConnell. 

You bet your ass I'm a Democrat.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #253 on: October 20, 2012, 10:12:46 pm »

I live in one of five states where my vote matters.  I am not voting for Obama.  I am sure as shit not voting for Romney either though.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #254 on: October 21, 2012, 12:15:13 am »

and this is exactly how romney will win.

in states where votes count, it's more important to vote against the guy you like less. in states like mine (georgia), your vote doesn't count in the big race, so voting for the candidate you REALLY want sends more of a message.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22   Go Up