Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lesson of the Day...  (Read 8423 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
Lesson of the Day...
« on: September 09, 2011, 06:03:23 pm »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:46:48 pm by Asherdan »
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Lesson of the Day...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 06:12:55 pm »

Hey, Rodeo at Ash's corral.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Lesson of the Day...
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 06:32:46 pm »

Ah, our own private "LFMF" thread. It's about time.

I (re-)learned recently that you should always, always get a solid dollar amount before you ask your lawn guy to do extra work. It was still a bargain for the amount of hours he put in, but I seriously underestimated the amount of work involved and was seriously unprepared to write a check $250.

We covered it fine, but that money was supposed to stay in our savings account for a rainy day, and Pedro was kind of pissed about it.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Lesson of the Day...
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 07:31:58 pm »

write a check $250.

Dang, that's a lot of yardwork.

Also, what is LFMF?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Lesson of the Day...
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 07:56:12 pm »

"Learn From My Fail"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Lesson of the Day...
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 10:39:03 pm »

I learned that when a person makes you some traditional home cooked food of their culture that there is a good possibility you are about to be ruined for eating at ethnic food restaurants of that culture, because it is unlikely that the food you get at any restaurant will be even moderately as good as the home cooked version.  My coworker Rajinder brought me samosas today and now I'm ruined.  I have previously been ruined when it comes to perogies due to another coworker's wife's Ukrainian cooking too.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Lesson of the Day...
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 01:33:08 am »

I learned the other day that if you are in a super huge hurry and you decide to just give your hair a quick rinse in the shower without shampooing, you should remember before you blow it out not to add any more styling product, because the stuff you put on after your shower the day before is still in there and your hair will look worse than it did before you half-ass "washed" it.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Lesson of the Day...
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 02:34:32 pm »

I learned that when a person makes you some traditional home cooked food of their culture that there is a good possibility you are about to be ruined for eating at ethnic food restaurants of that culture, because it is unlikely that the food you get at any restaurant will be even moderately as good as the home cooked version. 

Ain't that the truth?  My MIL tutors a couple of Indian kids, and a couple months ago their dad gave her some homemade butter chicken. She said it was too spicy and gave it to me. IT WAS FRICKIN' AWESOME. I've asked her to arrange for me to go to her house for a cooking lesson. I've tried several butter chicken recipes at home and never come close to as good as any local Indian restaurant, let alone this guy's version.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Lesson of the Day...
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 06:37:01 pm »

Butter chicken you say.  I've never heard of it.  Sounds good, but of course having butter in the name it would.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Lesson of the Day...
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 07:18:19 pm »

If you've ever been to an Indian buffet, you've probably had it, or at least seen it. It's also called chicken tikka masala, or "the national dish of England."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Lesson of the Day...
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 07:26:14 pm »

Of course.  I have had that.  Never heard it called butter chicken.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Lesson of the Day...
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 08:30:29 pm »

I worked with a guy from Sudan and during Ramadan he would bring in all these amazing dishes from the night before. Since they fasted during the day, and didn't eat leftovers at night he always had a surplus of amazing food he would bring in.

My favorite was this really spicy chicken that had some kind of dry rub on it. You would just tear chunks off and dip it in this spicy sauce. I can't remember what it was called, but I've never had chicken that good before or since.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Lesson of the Day...
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 09:38:05 pm »

At least in my understanding, tikka masala is not butter chicken - they are distinctly different recipes, and from what I understand from my cook books they're from different regions of India, with slightly different ingredients and are prepared differently, although both are awesome.  I've ordered both at once from my fav restaurant, and found I like Butter Chicken better (richer and more complex tasting).  Butter Chicken is sometimes called murgh makhani, but I've been told by people of Indian ancestry that calling it that is actually a mostly Western practice, as it's typically called butter chicken in India. 

Regardless: I <3 Indian food, and my pal Rajinder has ruined me for ordering both samosas and butter chicken at this point.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Lesson of the Day...
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 01:18:43 am »

Today I learned that taking a Gravol will not help me with my anxiety over the dentist.  I will just be drowsy and extremely anxious at the same time, which is actually worse.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Lesson of the Day...
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 01:33:38 am »

Today I learned that if you add food coloring to a bucket of water and then throw in a chunk of dry ice, the cloud it makes is still white. Ah, well.

I also learned that dry ice is really cheap, and my parents were a little bit lame.

I always thought they never got me dry ice to do Science with because it was hard to get and expensive, but it turns out it's $0.75/lb at the grocery store and they were just too lazy to supervise me with it.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up