Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: extreme couponing  (Read 9056 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 12:15:31 am »

I remember when extreme couponing first started. It was on the news back then.  In our next segment we visit with a local woman who saves 98 percent of her grocery bill with coupons.  Or some variation on that theme.  I had no idea that it had gotten to the point where it has it's own show, but I'm hardly surprised.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 01:27:58 am »

Wait, can I return to the beginning of this?

There is a TV show about people who shop with a lot of coupons? Have people's standards for entertainment really fallen that low?

Yes.  Every episode is a slow burn, where they show the person cutting the coupons... shopping, and then going through the checkout with like 7 carts.   You watch the register tick the total amount up, and then slowly tick back down to $0 with the coupons.

Basically, if I could get you (the TV audience) to care about it, I could sit on camera, flipping over paper numbers, until I got to a really high number... make a scared face, and then slowly flip the numbers back over until I got to zero.   I might stop some times and fret at the numbers.  "OH NO!  WHAT IF THEY DON'T GO ALL THE WAY TO ZERO?  WHAT WILL HAPPEN?   MAYBE THOSE NUMBERS JUST AREN'T IN THIS BOOK ANY MORE!"  <flipflipflip> "YAY!  THEY WERE!  ZERO!

WE ALL WIN!  YAY!"

In this instance, "winning" means a dude leaves the store with more deodorant than any man would use in their entire life.   Winning also means proudly showing America that "under the kid's bed" is where all the excess paper products go.   

There's also this rad trope where tension is built by the registers not being able to carry out some of these transactions.   I'm pretty sure the crews are totally used to it after a season of filming.  "Oh jeeze... That's an OCR 2342... it's only going to make it through 3 carts of pickles... be sure to get it breaking down from a couple angles."

Also once: High drama was a few of the coupons getting stuck together and getting missed.   Oooh wee!   Close one.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 01:59:10 am »

We're not sending people to Mars but we are watching people save money on pickles they don't need.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 03:09:39 am »

Wait, can I return to the beginning of this?

There is a TV show about people who shop with a lot of coupons? Have people's standards for entertainment really fallen that low?

Oh most certainly.  Ever watch the show about who's the best storage auction scavenger/junk dealer in LA?  Or the one about the guy who scrapes and paints things?  Or the one about the two junk dealers who drive around and buy junk from other junk dealers/hoarders?

Hours of entertainment.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 03:18:51 am »

Quote
Also once: High drama was a few of the coupons getting stuck together and getting missed.   Oooh wee!   Close one.
Oh lord, this is the worst. Luckily (?) for me there are very few people who use coupons at my store.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 05:15:27 am »

There is a TV show about people who shop with a lot of coupons? Have people's standards for entertainment really fallen that low?

If you don't want to watch movies this is what you get.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 05:52:46 am »

There is still plenty of good entertainment on TV. But as a fan of television, I fear for the future. I'm afraid there won't be much incentive to spend lots of money on good acting and writing and production when you can get more viewers and in turn advertising dollars by shoving a bunch of low-pay attention-sluts into a house with a few cameras.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 06:37:59 am »

There is still plenty of good entertainment on TV. But as a fan of television, I fear for the future. I'm afraid there won't be much incentive to spend lots of money on good acting and writing and production when you can get more viewers and in turn advertising dollars by shoving a bunch of low-pay attention-sluts into a house with a few cameras.

QFT, have a can.



also, if TLC keeps taking cues from MTV, theyre going to have to change their name.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 12:30:06 pm »

They already did. It's been years since they used "the learning channel" spelled out.  I believe that officially it doesn't stand for anything anymore.

I am of course aware that this sort of thing exists - it is impossible not to know about those housewives programs and someone I know is actually a producer on one of Discovery's hoarders shows. But I had no idea it had fallen as far as supermarket coupons and a guy who scrapes and paints things.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 01:31:37 pm »

a guy who scrapes and paints things.

Actually, that one's pretty good.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 01:59:53 pm »

In one episode he was literally scraping the bottom of the barrel.  Ha ha ha...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 01:38:14 am »

It's been years since they used "the learning channel" spelled out. 

I missed a couple of words and read this as 'It's been years since the learning channel spelled out.' Which I thought was rather witty. A can from my dyslexia.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 04:47:59 am »

Lots of serious dramas on TV these days, as well. It's just the splintering of the audience and the need to fill time. The future of TV won't just be this. It will be this and that and that other thing, too.

I don't watch TV except for sports.

Oh, and I wonder how many people on the show are Mormons. Only because I've heard that many Mormons think that you should have a year's worth of food/supplies and that Glenn Beck has been pushing this idea. And the only extreme couponer that I know happens to be Mormon, but she had the coupons before she had the Morminity.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 05:53:36 am »

yes, I feel like TV is being split in half. On the one hand you have really successful great shows-- your Wire, Mad Men, Sopranos, whatever. On the other hand you have reality shows. No more middlebrow.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: extreme couponing
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 08:54:11 am »

Maybe it's just one night on NBC, but Community and Parks and Recreation are awesome.  Those are middlebrow I think.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up